• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding How do I move a new pair from neutral area

I am sorry if we seem to have missed your post yesterday! Anyway, from your last post it sounds like they are getting used to one another really good. Keep them like this for a couple of more days then you should be able to put them in the lounge. Yes it would be a good idea to put some of their litter in the lounge litter tray and as you are moving them he might chase her a bit more. Don't rush anything and it sounds like you will have 2 happy Rabbits very soon. :love::love:

:wave::wave:
I am sorry if we seem to have missed your post yesterday! Anyway, from your last post it sounds like they are getting used to one another really good. Keep them like this for a couple of more days then you should be able to put them in the lounge. Yes it would be a good idea to put some of their litter in the lounge litter tray and as you are moving them he might chase her a bit more. Don't rush anything and it sounds like you will have 2 happy Rabbits very soon. :love::love:

Hi, no you didn’t miss anything at all. when I tried to post the last two posts the second was just a repeat of the first on) both times the screen said there was an error, I wasn’t logged in which I’d been very careful to do. It was third time lucky

So just to be clear, when you say a couple of more days does that mean Tuesday? That would be three days in total?

Thanks a lot. oh plus how long to then keep them confined, to start with in the living room????:wave:

Last edited:
If they are happy together then it should be safe to move them to the lounge on Tuesday. Always put the boy in first. I would just let them free in the room and monitor them for a short while. Hopefully they will be ok. The boy might chase the female again for a while but it sounds like you shouldn't have many problems. Hope it goes well.

Thanks a lot for this. Tonight will only be their second night, there’s already some chasing up starting again in more earnest, the same happened yesterday evening. I’ll monitor how they are overnight. Being in the bedroom with them is good as I get a more accurate idea of how their behaviour is developing. Then keep an eye on how they’re getting on together by Tuesday and play it by ear.

Yes, playing it "by ear" is good where Bunnies are concerned. There is usually a mad chase if food is coming :thumb:

Playpen alert

I’d planned to leave them in the playpen in th3 bedroom for a third night before moving them

The pen is knee height and I wrongly thought this was ok as she was unfamiliar with the space and wouldn’t/couldn’t jump. She’s a Netherlands dwarf and I’ve been used to larger older and senior rabbits.

The playpens one line did have one with clear plastic panels but I’d chosen one with wires, a bit like a grill.

Approx 24 hours after moving Fhawn to the living room yesterday, she went very quiet, stopped eating and was huddled up………..
Too late in the day to take to my rabbit vet and I knew emergency vet was in the first instance likely to confirm my suspicions of gut stasis.
I always keep an unopened bottle of Infacol which Iimmediately used. after 3 doses she became energetic and wanted food again. I had to use a syringe. Bit stressful for her and me. This morning I used soaked pellets mixed with the Infacol but she wasn’t interested in that so had to syringe feed it to her again. Happy to eat otherwise
Read afterwards that a change in environment can cause GS so another thing learnt.
I’d also learnt a long while ago on this Rabbit Forum about Infacol. For which I am eternally thankful!

Last edited:
I hope your Rabbit is eating normally now. Maybe she hurt herself when she jumped over the wire? Are they together now?

Bonding update

Hi Tonibun yes she’s eating fine now. They’ve stayed together throughout from the beginning and now in a largish enclosed area in the living room. I’ve put up the barriers around the tv area to protect the cables . The entry points to the back of the tv are too small for my larger BeBe but she’s small and would get through. I’m going to open the enclosure now and see how she gets on. As I’ve got two cats which come and go in the living room the door stays open so I’ll confine Fhawn at night with BeBe in the enclosure to start with so she can’t stray too far.
I did check her gait after her initial escape and she looked fine but know they do mask injuries

Last edited:
Back