Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Tooth root abscess prognosis

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    Thank you for sharing. I've also had a bun, Mary, whose abscess surgery went badly, for several reasons (I can go into it if you like). With Mary, the surgeon actually phoned me while she was under GA to ask if they should let her go due to what they found on examination - I wasn't expecting to be faced with that decision and found myself unable to say to let her go, but she didn't recover properly and I decided to pts less than a week later, so with hindsight I made the wrong decision for her. But Mary had been ill for a long time with a condition we never properly diagnosed, and then her abscess developed as a result of spurs causing an injury in her mouth. Martial by comparison is fit and well (or was until the sulfatrim), so I'd expect better chances of a good outcome, though I know there's always risks and the chance of unexpected findings, especially with no scans beforehand.

    I think on Friday I'll make sure to discuss the various likely findings from the X-rays with the vet beforehand, and if they find something unexpected I'll ask them to call me while he's under GA. Thankfully this new vet is only 10 minutes away on foot so he doesn't even have to go in the car to get there and back.
    I'm so sorry Mary's abscess surgery went badly. It's so understandable that you weren't able to tell the surgeon to let her go when they called you. They called me while Tom was under GA, too, and I know it's such a shock. You don't get any time to properly think about it. It's so difficult to make a decision right away, and you did what you could at that time. With Martial normally being fit and well in comparison to Mary, I would expect he has a better chance of getting through the surgery, too, but him being poorly right now is far from ideal for surgery, of course, so I understand why you don't think he won't be having surgery tomorrow after all. I'm really sorry he's barely eating today. Taking him back to the vet sounds like the best idea, and I hope they can help you make a decision. When my bunnies have had to have surgery while they weren't eating (dental surgery while they weren't eating because of the dental problems), we've given them a few days of really good syringe feeding and pain meds and gut stimulants so their guts are working nicely and they're in good shape before we had them go through with the surgery. Would that be an option?
    (Pronouns: he or they)


  2. #12
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    5,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a reader of books View Post
    When my bunnies have had to have surgery while they weren't eating (dental surgery while they weren't eating because of the dental problems), we've given them a few days of really good syringe feeding and pain meds and gut stimulants so their guts are working nicely and they're in good shape before we had them go through with the surgery. Would that be an option?
    That would also be my recommendation. I wouldn't put an anorexic rabbit through an anaesthetic unless it was an emergency and really couldn't wait a few days. They really need to be in as good a shape as possible beforehand, so they can deal with recovering from the op. They are much more delicate than other pets. If you can't deal with the gut issues now, then it's going to be so much harder to keep going after an anaesthetic. It's also harder to get veterinary help over a weekend, so if he doesn't pick up, it is down to the out of hours vet who may not be rabbit savvy.

    Another option is to admit him for treatment / feeding up before his op. Does your vet have nurses in overight who could do this?

  3. #13

    Default

    Just to update on Martial....

    The (assumed) abscess was shrinking all last week and by Friday it was gone. I took him in for his appointment anyway as he still wasn't eating but the vet still couldn't find anything that might be causing him not to eat.

    Martial ate a little more over the weekend but not enough to convince me he was recovering, so yesterday morning I took him back to the old vets specifically to see the remaining exotics specialist, who looked in his mouth and saw sharp spurs (the other vet on Friday said she couldn't see any bad spurs...I know it's hard to see in a bun's mouth but why did one see nothing and the other immediately saw they were sharp?). Martial was admitted for a dental, plus X-rays and blood tests. The X-rays and blood tests were all normal (no sign of the supposed abscess on them either). Martial's recovering at home quite well for someone who wasn't eating properly for ten days before having surgery. Thankfully he only lost 100g during the ordeal. I'm still syringe feeding him but he is picking at his hay and greens quite regularly, so fingers crossed he'll be better soon. He's also back at his usual position, sitting on my feet under my desk

    The working hypothesis now is that he had a bad reaction to the antibiotics that was the initial cause of him stopping eating, which allowed his usual spurs to grow away very quickly, and by the time the antibiotics were out of his system his teeth were making it painful to eat. (Either that or it's complete coincidence that it happened at the same time.) Regarding the lump, if it was an abscess then some kind of bunny miracle has occurred, but it's also quite possible it was a random lymph node swelling that went down once I started him on meloxicam.

  4. #14
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    21,735

    Default

    That's a great update (apart from the mystery of the "abscess"). I hope Martial continues to do well & his appetite improves more & more

  5. #15
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    5,883

    Default

    Thanks for the update. I had been wondering what was happening. It is always worth getting a specialist opinion if you can and you are not entirely happy with the first opinion. It can make a big difference to the outcome. I'm glad he is now recovering after appropriate treatment. Spurs can develop quite quickly is a rabbit isn't eating properly. One of mine had to have his incisors checked and burred every 2 weeks.

  6. #16
    Warren Scout AnjaSanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Hi there! I will borrow this topic for small input-update on my dental bun. His first problems were noticed in oktober/november 2020, eating less hay, followed by transceluent eye discharge and slightly bulged one eye. Aaaaand diagnose-all the roots are badly elongated, abscess in periorbital area. He had 2 teeth extracted and abscess drained, 4 weeks of two antibiotics, 2 pain meds and 3 days of gut medicine. After that he had ON/OFF spurs or too long crowns, often checkups....And well here we go again. Around 14 days ago the same symptoms, and x-rays did show abscess, one root pressing too much to the eye. So 4 days ago he had one more teeth extracted, abscess drained and another 4 weeks of the same meds.

    He is a good boy with will to eat and live. He eats veggies on his own, pellets and I still do give him 2 meals of CC. Breakfast and dinner. He started to play and nibble with his hay ball. Pain meds at their finest. He will turn 7 in july.
    Last edited by AnjaSanja; 10-04-2022 at 09:32 AM.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •