• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nail clipping

jewels26301

Young Bun
I have booked my 2 rabbits to have their nails clipped tonight...

And at £21 for both, inc the consulation i nearly died...

Its their first time so i never wanted to risk doing myself until i'm shown..

Where can i buy a decent proper set of clippers for next time?

And how an earth am i going to get my fiesty doe to allow me to do it?

Thanks in advance

Julie

£21 - my goodness. I bought a pair of guillotine clippers from Jollyes Pet shop - they cost me about £7 - Mikki make I think. I also have a pair of human toenail clippers (about £4 from chemists) that I use for the piggies. I am sure you would be able to get them online too.
If you have a feisty one either get someone to hold onto her whilst you cut her nails or you could try to wrap her in a towel.

I personally wouldn't recommend the gulitone clippers. They are a bit akward to clip with and you need to put on a lot of pressure before it cuts the nail and when the bun feels pressure on the nail they pull their foot away. I have recently changed from the cat clippers to dog clippers and they are way better and much easier to use.

Jewels make sure the vet or vet nurse shows you how to do it :lol: otherwise nail clipping could get a tad expensive!!!!

Angela

I don't have the confidence to do it myself, so I'm planning to get a (nurse) friend to help next time. Last time (first ever clip) I took them to the vet, but they didn't charge me for it as they had vaccinations, and maybe the receptionist didn't get all the info?! (shhhh don't tell!!!).

Best idea is for one person to hold (in a towel if necessary) and one to clip. It helps sometimes to cover the bunny's eyes...

Once you have been shown how to do it, it's fairly easy and gets easier the more nails you clip! Ask the vet to show you and perhaps do a nail with the vet guiding you.

What colour nails does your bunny have? Black ones are always the hardest cos you can't see the quick easily! When you do it yourself, have some styptic powder at hand in case you catch the quick.

Much cheaper to do it yourself once you know how! I have to clip the bun's nails at work - at first I was a bit worried but now having done lots I'm much more confident. I always find it easier if somebody is holding the rabbit so it doesn't struggle.

I think most vets will clip the nails for free if you are going in for something else such as vaccinations as it only takes a minute.

Maaike - expect that being a vet nurse you will have to learn how to clip :D I always feel awful if I accidentally get the quick!! :(

Nicola

I'm lucky that Evo has light nails..... I tend to just do one or 2 when he's relaxing... they all get done eventually. :D

They are easy to do once uve done it once, if ur nervous the rule is only cut nali back to hair line then u carnt get it wrong. If they are showing longer than the hair on the foot them trim back. U dont have to spend a lot of money on clippers a small pair will do , my best ones were only 3 50.First time its best to get someone to hold the rabbit for u so u can concentrate . Dont forget they hace a dew claw like dogs a bit up the angle, many people dont know about that one , but if left it curles round and digs in the leg. val

i find the dew claw the hardest one to get to! :?
I'm not sure how but luckily simba's dew claws dont seem to get long.. not sure if they dont grow much or if somehow they get worn down.

Back