• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor digging box?

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone here used any type of digging box for a bunny indoors? (I’m thinking a covered cat litter tray). Does anyone have any recommendations? Any tips?- I’m sure she will kick it WAY out any type of covered tray so I’ll use something around it to at least try and prevent my room becoming a bigger trash heap than she’s currently made it.

(Those who follow us on Facebook will know exactly why I’m asking :lol:).

Casper and Sophie have a digging box indoors, but it's not covered, and the sides aren't very high, so it does get very messy when they use it. :lol: Using a covered cat litter tray sound like it would work well, especially if it has one of those door flaps to keep stuff in, unless she doesn't like things with only one door? I have my digging box without a cover so they wouldn't feel trapped, as Casper's an anxious bunny and doesn't like that. But I know some bunnies are fine with it.

Casper and Sophie have a digging box indoors, but it's not covered, and the sides aren't very high, so it does get very messy when they use it. :lol: Using a covered cat litter tray sound like it would work well, especially if it has one of those door flaps to keep stuff in, unless she doesn't like things with only one door? I have my digging box without a cover so they wouldn't feel trapped, as Casper's an anxious bunny and doesn't like that. But I know some bunnies are fine with it.

What do you use in yours?

I’m confident that anything without a lid would be strewn everywhere (including on me in my bed). I’m hoping she would be fine with a door. I think I’ll need something on the bigger side though, which I hadn’t thought until just now, because her bonded friend is a French lop.

I've made one from a cardboard box before and cut the entrance about halfway up above where I put the substrate. Didn't completely cut out the mess but did keep a lot of it in. Was also a nice cheap way to see if they liked it.

I would be tempted to use a small dog crate to put the high sided tray (or baby bath?) in, then you can throw a cover over it to keep the bits in, but there's still room to move around. I'm also a fan of large boxes to keep mess confined.

Back