• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My first two house bunnies

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
I found some old bunny photos from before I had a digital camera, so I thought I'd introduce you all to my first two sort-of-house bunnies. This was when I was 13, so in 2001, maybe 2002. We had had bunnies outside when I was little, but we hadn't had any for several years now, and I'd been doing lots of research and wanted to adopt a house bunny (preferably two). There were no rescues anywhere around here, though, and my dad thought it was ridiculous to drive several hours to a rescue for 'just a rabbit', so he eventually took me to a pet shop and I chose a bunny there. At least it was a decent shop, and the bunnies were vaccinated and a reasonable age. I thought long and hard about the name and eventually decided to call him... Bugs. After Bugs Bunny, yes. Very original, I know. Teen me was not great with bunny names.

8sIMU5ch.jpg

p5zwBMCh.jpg

9fMsFhsh.jpg

lVCZ5Rih.jpg

hVhvC3eh.jpg

nr5a3B6h.jpg

He started out in a cage in the living room, but soon after moved into my bedroom, where he enjoyed my bed, as you can see.

We got Bugs neutered, and I decided it was time for him to have a friend. I wanted to adopt a girl bunny and had made an appointment at a rescue a few hours away from here. My mum would drive me there, but then she was sick on the day of the appointment, and you know what my dad thought about driving several hours to get a rabbit...

So, I cancelled the appointment, and then, without my knowing, my dad went to a garden centre and bought a baby bunny boy. He was very young, covered in fleas, and he had diarrhoea, and I was very angry at the garden centre. He recovered, though. I named him Silly (told you teen me was bad at names, poor boy), though I usually just called him Sil.

6A19YNAh.jpg

He and Bugs got along great, until, of course, Sil got hormonal... We got him neutered, and he and Bugs became good friends again. Then my mermory gets very fuzzy, because for some reason Bugs and Sil moved outside and I can't at all remember why, because I really enjoyed having them indoors and can't imagine why I would make the decision to move them into the garden where I'd see them less. I really don't understand why this happened? Maybe it was my parents' decision, I'm not sure. I hope they were happy outside, but I do wish I had kept them indoors so I could've had more contact with them.

d0E4fx5h.jpg

4QJEDfUh.jpg

U2bM6wfh.jpg

It was nice reading about your first bunnies :love: Sil was such a cutie, i really love that photo of them on the bench. Interesting how much Bugs facial markings change in colour (you're right - names weren't the most inspired :lol:)

They did look happy :love:

Aww thanks for sharing your photos, I really enjoyed reading about your lovely boys. It's nice to hear how about others got into bunniness :lol:

Last edited:
Bugs and Sil are very cute. They were lucky to go to a good home. I think it was fate that intervenes day your mom got sick, as Sil needed rescue to a good life with you and Bugs.
My first bunny was named bun-bun, so not very creative.:lol:

Aww, thank you for looking everyone, and for your nice comments about Bugs and Sil. :love: They were both very sweet. :love:

It was nice reading about your first bunnies :love: Sil was such a cutie, i really love that photo of them on the bench. Interesting how much Bugs facial markings change in colour (you're right - names weren't the most inspired :lol:)

They did look happy :love:
I know. :lol:

Yeah, Sil was really cute. :love: He's actually the only lop bunny I've had! Bugs' facial markings did change a lot over the seasons. :love:

Bugs and Sil are very cute. They were lucky to go to a good home. I think it was fate that intervenes day your mom got sick, as Sil needed rescue to a good life with you and Bugs.
My first bunny was named bun-bun, so not very creative.:lol:
Ooh, I'd never thought about it that way, that Sil needed to be rescued from that garden centre... You're right, he did.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who wasn't very creative with bunny names. :lol:

I think Sil was particularly eye catching because of his fur & eye colour combo:love:

Boo was my first & only lop I adopted, Mouse was wearing one & a half ears up in her photo, she hid her potential helicopter / loppiness til she arrived:lol: (mostly she still wears one up, one down)

Have you had any breaks in rabbiting ?

I think Sil was particularly eye catching because of his fur & eye colour combo:love:

Boo was my first & only lop I adopted, Mouse was wearing one & a half ears up in her photo, she hid her potential helicopter / loppiness til she arrived:lol: (mostly she still wears one up, one down)

Have you had any breaks in rabbiting ?
I think so, too. :love: He had pretty eyes.

Ooh, that's special that Boo is the only lop you've had in all the years you've had bunnies. And Mousey kept being a helicopter a surprise, aw. :lol:

I haven't had a break, no. Since Bugs and Sil I've always had a pair, and at one point a trio, of bunnies. :love: Have you ever had a break since you started having bunnies?

Awwwww so fuzzzzyyyy [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I think so, too. :love: He had pretty eyes.

Ooh, that's special that Boo is the only lop you've had in all the years you've had bunnies. And Mousey kept being a helicopter a surprise, aw. :lol:

I haven't had a break, no. Since Bugs and Sil I've always had a pair, and at one point a trio, of bunnies. :love: Have you ever had a break since you started having bunnies?

I really didn't want a lop tbh & I also didn't want a REW bunny (can't believe I felt this way as REW bunnies I now find amongst the most beautiful) but Boo was the only single female in rescue when Noodle died & Joey needed a new wife. it absolutely could not have worked out better - as you know Boo is an amazing rabbit, couldn't wish for better.

I had a 2 month break from rabbiting in 2007. Ralph had 2 wives (Angel my first bun, then Kitty) but at the end he had a lot health problems & was alone for the last few months. I say alone - he was the most peopley & confident rabbit I ever met. I often lay on the sofa snoozing & he'd join me, laid out on my belly for hours. He bag searched & flirted with everyone. kinda reminds me of Rodney in personality (or how I imagine him). When ralph died I decided I couldn't handle the heartbreak of having rabbits but living without them was just rubbish. as soon as Christmas was over I called Bunny Burrows rescue & got their only available pair, noodle & Myrtle

Awwwww so fuzzzzyyyy [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
:love:

I really didn't want a lop tbh & I also didn't want a REW bunny (can't believe I felt this way as REW bunnies I now find amongst the most beautiful) but Boo was the only single female in rescue when Noodle died & Joey needed a new wife. it absolutely could not have worked out better - as you know Boo is an amazing rabbit, couldn't wish for better.

I had a 2 month break from rabbiting in 2007. Ralph had 2 wives (Angel my first bun, then Kitty) but at the end he had a lot health problems & was alone for the last few months. I say alone - he was the most peopley & confident rabbit I ever met. I often lay on the sofa snoozing & he'd join me, laid out on my belly for hours. He bag searched & flirted with everyone. kinda reminds me of Rodney in personality (or how I imagine him). When ralph died I decided I couldn't handle the heartbreak of having rabbits but living without them was just rubbish. as soon as Christmas was over I called Bunny Burrows rescue & got their only available pair, noodle & Myrtle
Boo sure changed your mind about REWs. :love: It was lucky that she was the only girl bunny in rescue at that time, since you wouldn't have picked her otherwise. Now you have amazing, sweet Boo. :love:

Aw, Ralph sounds like he was wonderful, outgoing bunny. :love: I can definitely understand deciding not to have bunnies anymore because you couldn't handle the heartbreak. I've thought of taking breaks before, but I know I would've hated it just like you did. Lucky Noodle and Myrtle. :love:

:love: It used to be too painful for me to look at old pictures of bunnies who have passed away, but lately I've been okay with it and have been enjoying it instead.

Yes I can understand that, but really pleased that you can enjoy them now, and even nicer that you shared them, thank you :love:

So glad you can enjoy the good times again, for they outweigh the bad :) And thankyou for sharing them with us :D

Back