• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Inside or outside? Best enclosure option?

Aulis

New Kit
Hello, Group,

I am writing to ask you for good, kind guidance. I am temporarily staying with someone who has a 10 year old, dwarf, male bunny. Bunny lives in a typical pet store cage outside on an extremely large screen porch. He is safe from predators there and off the ground so from some parasites also. He is fed nutritionally and always has enough clean water. However, his cage is not cleaned regularly, and he’s in 80+ heat most of the year. He also lives alone, doesn’t get to come out of his cage, and no one in the household socializes with him.

Since I’ve been here, I let him out of the cage on the patio supervised, sit with him a little each day, clean his cage regularly, and started to litter train him somewhat successfully. When I have to put him in his cage, he pushes against the door. That breaks my heart. In the morning, he is sitting by the door to come out.

I’m here apartment hunting and will ask to take him when I go; I’m sure they’ll say yes. I figure even if he’s in a bigger enclosure most of the time, at least he’ll be in a/c and have some social contact.

Taking him means I will have to adjust the type of apartment I get. This means getting a two bedroom apartment but I can’t bear to leave him here.I was planning to have a screen porch for my one cat to use. I thought of putting bunny’s cage there with an attached large play pen so he would have lots of space like now and not feel caged in. However, he’d still be in the heat and maybe not as safe as he is here. Also I don’t know if a property would let me keep him out there.

Inside I could create a cage/playpen smaller than a screen porch so he would feel caged in which foils the main reason I’m taking him. Also I have a cat and don’t know if she’ll coexist well. So he may need to be in a room by himself with means he’s alone again. I am out of the house all day except on weekends.

Is it better for him to be outside in the heat away from a cat that might upset him, not being as caged, and seeing me more? Or to be inside in the cool with some cat interaction, not much interaction from me, and caged more?

2. What type of enclosure would you suggest to give him the most room in a small space inside a small room? It needs to be sturdy and have a cover in case the cat came in the room They may coexist but I want to ensure his safety. Previously, he had a hutch where he could climb but didn’t like it. Even though vertical housing might work better in an apartment and give him more space, he might not like it. And he would feel more caged in.

These are the parameters I have. I know he doesn’t have many years left, but I’d like them to be better. Thank you for your help. Please don’t say anything upsetting. I’m doing the best I can.

Poor bunny. It's really kind and compassionate of you to want to take him with you when you leave, to want to give him a happy last few years. I'm so glad you're taking care of him now while you're staying there.

As for your questions, I would say go with whatever option will give him the most space, but it depends on a few things. You worry about him being alone, so I'm wondering if you would be able to adopt a bunny friend for him? Especially since you're out of the house all day during the week and won't be able to keep him company a lot of the time. Also, if you keep him indoors, would you be able to give him the entire room, rather than keep him in a cage or play pen inside the room? That would give him the most space. You'd just have to bunny proof the room. If the cat upsets him, you'd have to keep the door closed, though, yes, so that wouldn't be ideal if he's on his own. I wouldn't bother with vertical housing, especially if he doesn't like it. With bunnies, the amount of space that counts is really the space they can use to run and hop around, all on one level, rather than extra levels, so it wouldn't add much, really. Instead, you can add some platforms to his space that he can jump on and hide under. At his age, he might not enjoy climbing and jumping on things anymore, though, depending on his health. I don't have much experience with outside bunnies, so I don't know if the temperature outside would be an issue for him, but I wonder if making sure he has lots of shade would help?

Poor bunny. It's really kind and compassionate of you to want to take him with you when you leave, to want to give him a happy last few years. I'm so glad you're taking care of him now while you're staying there.

As for your questions, I would say go with whatever option will give him the most space, but it depends on a few things. You worry about him being alone, so I'm wondering if you would be able to adopt a bunny friend for him? Especially since you're out of the house all day during the week and won't be able to keep him company a lot of the time. Also, if you keep him indoors, would you be able to give him the entire room, rather than keep him in a cage or play pen inside the room? That would give him the most space. You'd just have to bunny proof the room. If the cat upsets him, you'd have to keep the door closed, though, yes, so that wouldn't be ideal if he's on his own. I wouldn't bother with vertical housing, especially if he doesn't like it. With bunnies, the amount of space that counts is really the space they can use to run and hop around, all on one level, rather than extra levels, so it wouldn't add much, really. Instead, you can add some platforms to his space that he can jump on and hide under. At his age, he might not enjoy climbing and jumping on things anymore, though, depending on his health. I don't have much experience with outside bunnies, so I don't know if the temperature outside would be an issue for him, but I wonder if making sure he has lots of shade would help?

I agree with this. It’s really nice that you are prepared to take on bunny and make his life better :love: I think if he is going to remain a single bunny I would house him indoors. It’s difficult given his age, if he were younger I would have definitely suggested getting him a friend and bonding them, then indoors or outdoors would be fine, but whatever you do it will be significantly better than what he has now.

Back