• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is oaty hay healthy?

Buka

Warren Scout
Both of my bunnies love oaty hay. At the moment I mix it in with their grassy hay. Would it be safe to give them more of it or should it just be used as an addition?

Frankly I give Cookie 2 handfuls of oat hay every day and he loves it. But oats can make it gain weight, so it should be given carefully.

The seed heads can have more carbohydrates if hay more mature, yet the stems and leaves are quite crunchy which some bunnies like.
Too many carbs are not good for promoting good digestive bacteria.
Though some oat hay has immature seedheads-oats- plus some bunnies can tolerate it well. Depending on cutting the hay may not have many seed heads too.

Thank you both!

The one I buy is mainly the straw and just a few heads here and there.

I didn’t know that oaty hay was higher is carbs. This is good to know! Thanks :)

Thank you both!

The one I buy is mainly the straw and just a few heads here and there.

I didn’t know that oaty hay was higher is carbs. This is good to know! Thanks :)

The seed heads are essentially immature oats which is the part with more carbs. Your brand having few seedheads would not cause me much concern.

Back