• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Unbonded in the storm? 😟

BethanyRose

Young Bun
Hi I have 2 x 7 month old Netherland Dwarves. A brother and sister. They live outside happily in a hutch, run and playpen and love each other to bits, grooming each other, sleeping snuggled together etc. but we decided to put them in our converted garage room (no heating so they won't start losing their winter coat), but just away from the strong winds and today's torrential rain.

They do not like to be picked up, so I tempt them into the carry case with herbs. However they have got bigger and both didn't fit in our original carry case that well, so one would go in, while the other went out. They kept jumping on the carry case...it was an absolute nightmare. So I decided to take one in the carry case at a time. When I put them in the playpen in the garage room the girl was very distressed and started digging in the hay (almost as if trying to find her brother). When we got him in, they were happy to be back together and we're fine to start with. Then we've started finding clumps of fur everywhere and my boy has become aggressive to his sister (although it's his fur we find). He used to be such a little sweetheart, but he stares at her and then chases her 😢 and she has to run and hide in a corner. He also has decided to sleep on one playmat and she's desperate to fit on next to him and keeps nudging him to let her on, but he chases her away. When she starts trying to groom him too, he takes it for a few seconds, then chases her 😢 What has happened to my boy? Do you think they'll rebond when we get them back outside? I am going to buy a larger carry case tomorrow in an attempt to get them both in there together.

Oh no 😢 We had no choice in the storm. This morning my boy actually started grooming his sister. But then later he gave her the look and scared her away. I've heard of stress bonding? So while they were both in the litter tray I shook the outside cage a bit (the lid, not anything that shook them) and kind of moved things abit while sweeping them out and they started grooming each other, so that's a start, but then he gave her the look and she ran off again. Do you think they'll remember their outside home? He is neutered, she is not. Also I'm gutted as I was so confident in their perfect litter training that I didn't put ground mats everywhere and they were brilliant for 4 days, then this morning there was one wee in the corner on my husband's beautifully laid flooring🙈 I've wiped it and disinfected....and lied to him when he asked me "still no wees on my floor?" 🙈

When you said a new move, I am also sending them to bunny boarding when we go on hol. Hope that doesn't upset their bond too. Wish me luck for trying to get them BOTH in a carry case today/tomorrow. Still strongish winds though. Maybe I should wait until tomorrow 🙈

Are you intending on getting your Doe spayed ? Not only will this make the stability of a bond more secure it will also protect her from Uterine Adenocarcinoma which effects up to 80% of entire Does by the age of 5.

Rabbits are territorial and don't like being moved generally speaking. Of course we have to move them at times. Not being spayed, your female will possiblybe getting broody now the days are getting longer, and she may start to pester the boy who will get stressed out about it and might start nipping her.

Thank you, yes I am going to get her spayed. The vet said March. I'm dreading it to be honest as it will mean moving her inside again🙈 Also I cannot check stitches as she will not be picked up. I took my boy to the vet to check stitches every few days. The nurse is so confident with handling them.

Oh no. Do you think spaying is the answer then? I put them back outside today. They seem calmer but still not sleeping snuggled together as usual 😢

Thank you, yes I am going to get her spayed. The vet said March. I'm dreading it to be honest as it will mean moving her inside again🙈 Also I cannot check stitches as she will not be picked up. I took my boy to the vet to check stitches every few days. The nurse is so confident with handling them.

You should not separate them when she is spayed. They should go to the Vet together and remain together.

Oh no. Do you think spaying is the answer then? I put them back outside today. They seem calmer but still not sleeping snuggled together as usual 😢

Spaying is certainly going to be beneficial, both from a behavioural point of view and for her longer term health.

Thought I already replied but it didn't post. Yes will definitely keep them together as I did when my Rocky was neutered. Aw I'm so happy, they are sitting together. Being outside has calmed them down. Although I was shocked to see a random dark orange wee today all over their playmat. They never wee in the run. Maybe just the trauma of the move. I'll let them chill and get used to being back in their home.

I keep posting a reply but it doesn't show up. I'm soooo happy. My buns are back in their garden run and bonded again. Little Bea is no longer scared and they are grooming each other and Rocky allowing Bea to sleep half in his head etc 😄 It was so sad when he turned all mean 😟 I will definitely keep them together for her spay as I did for his neuter.

You can check stitches without picking them up by getting them to gently stretch up for a treat in your hand, and look underneath them then.

Back