• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Willoughby

I cannot offer advice, yet am sending positive vibes your vet will know what this means and how to treat Willoughby.

How is he doing?

I cannot offer advice, yet am sending positive vibes your vet will know what this means and how to treat Willoughby.

How is he doing?
My vet is researching, but doesn't know enough about it, he said that they've only just been able to do this test so he's not done it on a rabbit before so isn't entirely sure what it means yet.

He's okay.. But not great :(
Topping up the vibes xx
Thanks xx

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I hope that William can research more about this. I must admit it does sound unusual. Need to find out why Willoughby and also whether this is actually the cause of him not feeling well. Sending him lots of vibes.

I hope that William can research more about this. I must admit it does sound unusual. Need to find out why Willoughby and also whether this is actually the cause of him not feeling well. Sending him lots of vibes.
Thanks yea it does, it's making me worry about my others like Apricot lives with him.. Is exposed to same conditions as him.. But velvets are completely indoor buns!
Parathyroid issues ?
I'll Google this thanks

I hope a solution can be found. I wonder if the indoor bunny nuggets would do him any good?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
Same :(

Yea so since he had the test I've been feeding him the excel ones with vit D in them. Figured they couldn't hurt, but it seems odd like I've never fed my indoor buns pellets because Atticus can't tolerate them and they aren't out in the sunshine.. Maybe Willoughby has trouble retaining or absorbing it for some reason..? I honestly don't know

Same :(

Yea so since he had the test I've been feeding him the excel ones with vit D in them. Figured they couldn't hurt, but it seems odd like I've never fed my indoor buns pellets because Atticus can't tolerate them and they aren't out in the sunshine.. Maybe Willoughby has trouble retaining or absorbing it for some reason..? I honestly don't know

I was wondering this too. This is one of FHB's areas, she has papers on the subject online that I can't understand - I wonder if she really is FULLY retired, it'd be great for her to have some input. Either way I hope williams research comes up with something. Do you know how his calcium & phosphorous levels are cos I think they are all linked

sending vibes for your lovely boy

I was wondering this too. This is one of FHB's areas, she has papers on the subject online that I can't understand - I wonder if she really is FULLY retired, it'd be great for her to have some input.

Don't be ridiculous - of course is not FULLY retired. For one, she is actively working on the website and planning a "peri-operative death" investigation. All of this has been "imminent" for some time (so who really knows). It does however say on the contact page that she is happy to be contacted by vets to discuss cases. I think she likes contributing.

Parathyroid issues ?

Could they check his PTH? Would that make his calcium levels high or cause weak bones by removing calcium from bones like it does in humans?

Graciee, This is unique to him, so unlikely to be caused by diet. I think I read hay has form of vitamin D from drying in the sun.
Can vet suggest supplement and retest in a few weeks?
Since test new to vet, could the test be wrong?

Last edited:
Sorry it's nothing more simple :( It'll be Willoughby as others have said, not his care. It almost sounds like he's 'grown out of' metabolising Vit D, given his age... But thta sounds ridiculous. Although as we all know, sometimes whatever option is left that's not impossible is the most likely :( I hope you can find a solution (possibly literally) for him xxx

I was wondering this too. This is one of FHB's areas, she has papers on the subject online that I can't understand - I wonder if she really is FULLY retired, it'd be great for her to have some input. Either way I hope williams research comes up with something. Do you know how his calcium & phosphorous levels are cos I think they are all linked

sending vibes for your lovely boy

Ah maybe he'll speak to her, he knows her I think! And her husband apparently. I'll have a google too thank you :)

Yea they were tested originally which is why he then did the vit D test. Calcium was high, but not super high but the other type of calcium was ridiculously low. So I think he's thinking that but not sure what to do now.

Don't be ridiculous - of course is not FULLY retired. For one, she is actively working on the website and planning a "peri-operative death" investigation. All of this has been "imminent" for some time (so who really knows). It does however say on the contact page that she is happy to be contacted by vets to discuss cases. I think she likes contributing.

Ah this is interesting thanks

Could they check his PTH? Would that make his calcium levels high or cause weak bones by removing calcium from bones like it does in humans?

Graciee, This is unique to him, so unlikely to be caused by diet. I think I read hay has form of vitamin D from drying in the sun.
Can vet suggest supplement and retest in a few weeks?
Since test new to vet, could the test be wrong?

Yea I'm really not sure tbh :(

There's a supplement in the pellets I'm feeding him now.

Yea I hope the others are okay, not sure what's going on with him tho

I doubt it's wrong it's a blood test :(

Sorry it's nothing more simple :( It'll be Willoughby as others have said, not his care. It almost sounds like he's 'grown out of' metabolising Vit D, given his age... But thta sounds ridiculous. Although as we all know, sometimes whatever option is left that's not impossible is the most likely :( I hope you can find a solution (possibly literally) for him xxx

Yea I hope it's not something I've done [emoji51]

Yea weird isn't it.. I really hope he can figure this out for him

Is Willoughby on a low calcium diet?

I remember Rodney had weird calcium levels where his long term one was normal but short term was really low when he had his bladder sludge.

The vet said it was odd and likely because Rodney was indoors and he had a recent build up in his bladder.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Back