• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Something is awry... Vet visited, not much changing! Stasis - maybe?

Me too, I am comfortable that we've done what we can.

If the worst comes to the worst I am hoping other rabbit is OK. She seems to have been coping well for the past few days with some extra visits/runs around the garden/strokes.

I really hope your bunny can pull through. It's difficult enough having a bunny PTS, but it must be even harder if you don't know the exact reason why you're having to do it.

I expect that you've already discussed pain relief with your vet, but is he at the top end of the dosage for his weight? I only mention it because one of my rabbits once had a stasis episode that lasted for two weeks and she wasn't initially responding to the medication. She only really started to improve once the metacam dosage was temporarily increased. If you're at the point where you're having to consider PTS then this might be worth one last shot.

Yeah he's having a decent amount of Metacam now, 2x daily, I'd guess 0.7ml each time x2... Though that doesn't seem to make him eat much more.

Really not ideal weather today for bringing Bear home...

We've set up a room in the house and will bring his partner in, as well as litter trays etc so he has space to hop around and have a familiar friend around him. His partner hops around that room fairly regularly so imagine she'll be OK in there for a couple of nights.

Will leave it unheated, just don't want them getting blown around / don't want him going from central heated to freezing cold, even with a snuggle safe I'd be concerned he can't regulate his temperature due to all the meds he's on.

Health update wise, he's pretty much as he was. Maybe we'll have a minor miracle but seems highly unlikely.

He's home.

Seems a bit livelier, currently attacking what we've made to be his home (a cardboard box...).

Hopefully he perks up now he's with Cam. Need a minor miracle

I'll go and move the box as he does keep eating it... Annoyingly the only thing he does want to eat!

*box removed... He'd just nibbled some bits off.

Last edited:
Sending vibes he just needs a little more time for abx to work and for him to realize he can eat without dental pain. I am sure he will also benefit from being home and with his friend and family. Also adding a prayer he gets his miracle.

Thanks all.

I've just done his evening Metacam and Emeprid. Syringe feed I tried but don't think it was wet enough, will make it much more watery tomorrow as it doesn't flow into or out of the syringe otherwise... Has had a a bit of banana too.

He was eating a little hay when I popped my head in before I gave him meds, which is good. He's definitely pooing fine, they're just quite small and hard unlike healthy buns big/slightly softer ones.

He definitely looks more alert than before and is fighting to not have meds, as well as stamping a bit when he's unhappy (which isn't great but shows a bit of "normality"). I don't want false hope but fingers are crossed.

How is his hydration? pee?
The consistency of syringe feeds is hard to get exactly right. If too dry the are hard to swallow/administer and too wet and they drip out before getting swallowed with some bunnies.
The right oral syringe helps too, though I have been known to stretch the opening with a nail or even fork tine-though I have extras. I load it from back when doing food rather than trying to suck it in syringe like meds.
In my experience you are not wrong to have hope, and he seems to be behaving like he is improving.
Sending more vibes.

Thanks all.

I've just done his evening Metacam and Emeprid. Syringe feed I tried but don't think it was wet enough, will make it much more watery tomorrow as it doesn't flow into or out of the syringe otherwise... Has had a a bit of banana too.

He was eating a little hay when I popped my head in before I gave him meds, which is good. He's definitely pooing fine, they're just quite small and hard unlike healthy buns big/slightly softer ones.

He definitely looks more alert than before and is fighting to not have meds, as well as stamping a bit when he's unhappy (which isn't great but shows a bit of "normality"). I don't want false hope but fingers are crossed.

Make the hole at the end of the syringe bigger. Stick a fork prong in the hole, twist it about. The plastic tip might snap off, that’s OK, just poke the fork prong in the remaining hole and twist it a bit more.

You can buy syringes specifically for syringe feeding and also a fine grind Critical Care

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-supp...97/oxbow-critical-care-fine-grind-100g-p-2747

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/feeding-syringe.html

I use Emeraid Intensive Care which is much easier to get into a standard syringe

https://www.vetimed.co.uk/pet/product/emeraid-intensive-care-herbivore-400g/

Adding a bit of eg baby food apple puree helps the critical care to flow better - the fibres don't clump up as much.

If you know anyone with kids, the syringes that come with their meds (eg Calpol) have a bigger hole and no nozzle, so it could be easier to feed - although they don't hold much, so get a couple if you can. Obviousy rinse well before using.

I tend to make up enough for a day in a small jar. Then you know how much you have to feed, and it gives the dry stuff time to bulk up. Keep in the fridge and add a bit of hot water to warm up a portion before you feed it.

It's a good sihn that he's feisty - but he does need to be a good boy and take his meds and food.

I think we might be getting somewhere.

He's eating a lot more than he was, and is far more feisty (good for him, bad for med time), and definitely seems way more alert (eyes open rather than "frowning" , not sitting hunched up in a corner all the time, not as lethargic). He's approaching us for food too which is more normal, and running away if we try to touch him in any way (also normal).

Poos starting to look healthier too. When we pop our head in he's usually by the hay so hopefully he's eating a bit of that now too.

Fingers crossed, but definitely hopeful. Key will be seeing how he copes once meds are wound down in a couple of days.

Excellent, maybe there was an infection somewhere and the addition of the antibiotics have turned things around.I really hope so x

Thanks both.

Is there any way to "get" him back eating pellets? Appreciate they're not the most important part of his diet, but that is one of the things he's snubbing. He's eating a lot of fresh vegetables so not massively concerned from a stasis perspective.

If I soften them, is it just best to leave in water for a bit before giving him them?

It may even just be taste / smell because he will eat hard treats.

Slightly less good today, nothing massively concerning just doesn't seem as comfortable, just a feeling I'm getting from his demeanour. He's lying down a lot, which is normal for a rabbit but perhaps just a bit more than what I'd expect. Hard to judge fairly when he's getting a bit stressed from med sessions (tries to escape, dig etc), showing good fight in that sense at least.

All meds for the day are in him. He's eating a good amount of Parsley, started to eat some pellets earlier, a little carrot and some other bits. He's not hoovering hay, but is definitely eating some bits of it. Poos are looking better than a day or two ago too.

Hopefully he's still moving in the right direction.

Back