• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New rabbits eating hutch

Hi all.

We have taken 2 rabbits from previous owners who pretty much just left them in the hutch and just threw food in for them. We have been told the rabbits are around 6 months old, they are, I believe from looking at pictures online french lops? That is what they look like anyway.

One rabbit seems quite timid and will allow us to touch it sometimes, however the other is the opposite and just thumps his feet if we attempt to. I have tried various things, they have a nice big run that they were accessing during the day time, but the more energetic one started chewing through the back of the hutch. I set everything up so that they now have 24 hour access to the run if they want it, but after a week he's started chewing the hutch again. Both rabbits have also in the past few days started shying away from me, they won't stay in the run if I am in there. We have tried letting them in the house to get used to us, but they just started clawing the carpet up.

They have plenty of toys to chew, they have unlimited hay, a few pellets in the evening and some chew food bars that are on strings. The hutch is clean, covered at night, apart from 1 door that allows access to the run.

I am at a total loss for what else I can do for them. I can't afford to replace the hutch, if they chew through it I am up the creek so to speak.

Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated.

At 6 months old, they are now mature and hormonal. I suggest they are neutered ASAP. They are at risk of fighting and injuring each other, and possibly pregnancy if you have a doe and buck. The other behaviour is typical of rabbits, but may also be frustration.

Can you extend the space they have, at least temporarily? A run around a different secure area for a few hours may help.
Other things to distract them may help - big boxes full of hay, or somewhere to dig. Willow is coming into bud now - you can cut branches and hang them in different places as chew toys.
Sit with them and use pellets as treats - so maybe scatter them around you at first, then try hand feeding them to build up their confidence around you.

Is there any way you can reinforce the chewed bit of hutch - eg screw another panel over it, or use wood from a pallet to rebuild that section?
Sometimes there are hutches or wendy houses on Freecycle or local FB groups, so you may be able to replace or add to their empire. Just be careful to avoid used hutches when the rabbit died suddenly and wasn't vaccinated, especially if yours are also not yet vaccinated.

There is a lot of useful information here:
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

And well done on taking these two on and improving their lives.

Do you know what sex they are as 2 of the same sex will very likely start to fight and if they are boy and girl you will have babies. It is now Spring in Rabbits' eyes so hormones are increasing. Is it the same Rabbit which is chewing the hutch?

At 6 months old, they are now mature and hormonal. I suggest they are neutered ASAP. They are at risk of fighting and injuring each other, and possibly pregnancy if you have a doe and buck. The other behaviour is typical of rabbits, but may also be frustration.

Can you extend the space they have, at least temporarily? A run around a different secure area for a few hours may help.
Other things to distract them may help - big boxes full of hay, or somewhere to dig. Willow is coming into bud now - you can cut branches and hang them in different places as chew toys.
Sit with them and use pellets as treats - so maybe scatter them around you at first, then try hand feeding them to build up their confidence around you.

Is there any way you can reinforce the chewed bit of hutch - eg screw another panel over it, or use wood from a pallet to rebuild that section?
Sometimes there are hutches or wendy houses on Freecycle or local FB groups, so you may be able to replace or add to their empire. Just be careful to avoid used hutches when the rabbit died suddenly and wasn't vaccinated, especially if yours are also not yet vaccinated.

There is a lot of useful information here:
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

And well done on taking these two on and improving their lives.

Many thanks for the reply. I spent yesterday evening increasing the enclosure size, they now have double the space. They seem quite settled with it, spending a lot of their time in the new bit smelling everything. The new section is open air, so unfortunately they don't have 24 hour access to that bit, however there was no chewing last night, so hopefully it's helped.

tonibun
Do you know what sex they are as 2 of the same sex will very likely start to fight and if they are boy and girl you will have babies. It is now Spring in Rabbits' eyes so hormones are increasing. Is it the same Rabbit which is chewing the hutch?

Unfortunately no, I don't know what sex they are. I did try to check myself, but it's too stressful for the rabbits being picked up. When I first got them I tried to book them in for a check up at the vets, however at £70 per rabbit I can't afford that this month, or probably next. It is the same rabbit that chews the hutch, he's the same on that stomps his feet a lot and was digging up the carpet when in the house.

Just testing - I replied 2 days ago but it said awaiting moderator approval
Sorry about that, should work now, any more problems drop me a private message or report your post to flag it up :)

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Back