• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

sofa pooing and weeing

bunbun8587

New Kit
hello everyone,

We have one little bunny that lives with us on our narrow boat. he has free roam pretty much other than our bedroom unless cuddles are needed. he has two litter trays which he uses and his own little bedding area under a chest of drawers. He uses these all the time. The odd cable has been chewed through in the early part of his living with us but we have got around that and made it more bunny proof. so it brings me to ask if their is any sort of natural repellent to keep him from pooing and occasionally weeing on our sofa? . Its like he does it to just be a complete little ******** as he would have already offloaded in ONE of his given toilets. We want him to roam and be aloud to have his own personallity rather than being caged. Anyone got an idea of a solution?

I would either cover it with something that's easy to clean, or keep it out of bounds. eg. There are some waterproof car seat covers for dogs that look smart.
Is he neutered? That may help with marking behaviour.
He may also be happier with a bunny friend, but you may also have double trouble for a while until they settle in. Both need to be neutered for at least 6 weeks before being introduced.
If another rabbit isn't an option, look at other ways to keep him occupied. eg willow balls to chase & chew, hay in toilet rolls, leafy twigs (willow, apple) stuck in a vase or through a box.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20270465...var=502825267746&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391334570762?hash=item5b1d5bab0a:g:ZJwAAOSwn1FbPJxQ

He isn’t being a ‘ little ******** ‘ he is exhibiting normal territory marking behaviour.

As mentioned by Shimmer, prevention rather than ‘cure’ is needed.

If we keep our Rabbits in an environment that is not natural to their species type ie indoors ( as I do ) we need to learn about what being a Rabbit means. Having an indoor Rabbit is not the same as having an indoor cat or dog. We cannot have the same expectations regarding behaviour and training.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behavioural-Problems-Rabbits-Clinical-Approach/dp/1789180120

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Rabbits-Habits-Tamsin-Stone/dp/0954350022

I agree with both Shimmer and IM. Your bunny isn't pooing and weeing on the sofa for malicious reasons; he's just being a bunny. I definitely understand that it's not nice to have bunny poo and wee on your sofa, but it's normal rabbit behaviour; it's just how they mark their territory, and they also like weeing on soft surfaces. So, like Shimmer said, the best way to deal with it is to cover the sofa with something easily cleanable, or to not let him on the sofa at all. Casper, one of my bunnies, used to wee on my bed, so I covered it with a waterproof picnic blanket with a nice print on it, and he'd still wee on it, but at least it was easy to clean! Living with bunnies requires some sacrifices in how you'd ideally want your living situation to be.

My rabbits love to wee on all soft surfaces. I make sure that they cannot get to them.

I agree with both Shimmer and IM. Your bunny isn't pooing and weeing on the sofa for malicious reasons; he's just being a bunny. I definitely understand that it's not nice to have bunny poo and wee on your sofa, but it's normal rabbit behaviour; it's just how they mark their territory, and they also like weeing on soft surfaces. So, like Shimmer said, the best way to deal with it is to cover the sofa with something easily cleanable, or to not let him on the sofa at all. Casper, one of my bunnies, used to wee on my bed, so I covered it with a waterproof picnic blanket with a nice print on it, and he'd still wee on it, but at least it was easy to clean! Living with bunnies requires some sacrifices in how you'd ideally want your living situation to be.

truer words were never spoken. That said I recall similar frustrations as a newer bunny owner, over time you get an idea of what to expect (or could happen). I'd get some nice oilcloth fabric & cover the sofa while not in use (by you). It might lose its appeal over time but no guarantees

Back