• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Now Fern has a runny eye U/D Injection tips for 'stiff' penicillin??

Thank you, she has gone for dried herbs in the past so will get some :) She's not having her baked apple treats atm but hopefully she'll come round.

Yeah the vets said it might be something she needs treatment for regularly if it reoccurs so that's good to know. I don't think this further course of baytril will do much tbh

Pleased that Fern is back home ok after her flush. Hopefully she'll feel brighter tomorrow and get back to normal eating. Sending her lots of vibes xx

Thank you :) She's moved from the house to the litter tray across the room so hopefully that means she's possibly been eating hay or will do soon. Will check for poops too when she's moved. Her tear ducts do look sore now bless her

Sending lots more vibes, I hope she is feeling better tomorrow. Dried forage used to go down well here xx

Thank you, she still loves apple sticks, dried leaves so it's a shame I didn't get some more dried stuff in! But she's eating this morning and there's lots of poops. She took her meds well too :)

Hopefully Jake is looking after her :love:
b67acc74a01d8d61619a8b3806ad3f27.jpg

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

I'm glad there was nothing bad to see on the x-ray. I hope having her tear ducts flushed has helped her be more comfortable, at least for a long time if it does turn out to be something that reoccurs (hopefully it won't!). That's great that she was eating this morning and that there were lots of poops! I hope she's less sore today. That photo of her and Jake is really cute. :love:

Thank you, fern is bright in herself but I'm a bit worried. Does anyone know if it's normal for them to develop a swelling after a tear duct flush? She has a fairly solid lump under her eye which has only become noticeable tonight. I'll call the vets in the morning. She's still on pain relief.

Thank you, fern is bright in herself but I'm a bit worried. Does anyone know if it's normal for them to develop a swelling after a tear duct flush? She has a fairly solid lump under her eye which has only become noticeable tonight. I'll call the vets in the morning. She's still on pain relief.

IME it happens when the duct has been ruptured and infection has set in. So an abscess forms. Really hope this is not the case for Fern.

Is it the duct that the Vet said was hard to flush ?

I have no advice, but I'm so sorry Fern has a lump under her eye now. :( I hope it's something that either goes away on its own or is easily treatable. Sending lots of vibes for her.

Thank you. Yeah, they told me it was hard to flush, then I got her clinical history yesterday as part of her insurance claim and it said very difficult to do. It was the rabbit savvy vet who I do trust.

Vets are seeing her at 10.30, fingers crossed for her, they've said it's not normal to develop a lump :(

Thank you all xx

The vet put local anaesthetic in to have a good look at her eye, the swelling is superficial and the vet thinks more related to her conjunctiva than the duct as it's more underneath the bottom of her eye than the front near the duct. The duct is draining. We're to keep a close eye make sure she's not developing an abscess, she's still on oral antibiotics but has tiacil drops now too. The vet flushed some tiacil into the duct too. She's back for a check up next Saturday, sooner if we're concerned

Back