• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Now Fern has a runny eye U/D Injection tips for 'stiff' penicillin??

I was explaining the taste of baytril to the hygienist the other day: I'd just had some local aneasthetic which tastes proper vile but still has nothing on baytril! You're such a special girl, Fern! Well done :D

I was explaining the taste of baytril to the hygienist the other day: I'd just had some local aneasthetic which tastes proper vile but still has nothing on baytril! You're such a special girl, Fern! Well done :D
You've tasted Baytril? You wanted to know what your bunnies were having? ;)

Thanks everyone :)

I'd just imagine baytril tastes like it smells, not nice :lol: She didn't move away when giving her eye drop this morning, didn't even have to hold her, think she thought it was brekkie time though :lol:

Thanks everyone :)

I'd just imagine baytril tastes like it smells, not nice :lol: She didn't move away when giving her eye drop this morning, didn't even have to hold her, think she thought it was brekkie time though :lol:
I think I do remember it smelling very bad. :lol: How good of her. :love: She must've been disappointed that it wasn't breakfast after all, though. :lol:

Might have licked my fingers ;P Usually it's when it gets spat back at you :lol:
:lol:

Fern showing how brave she is for medicine time. I'm not sure I can see any difference in her eye yet :?
2c045192ae280e9ceef1aa3f6bdd113d.jpg
b37adc54699991a5da048bc277fc09f1.jpg

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

She is brave and strong :love: I hope the meds work soon. It looks like she is bright and well in herself :wave:

:love: Thank you. She is perfectly well in herself aside from her eye. I'm always surprised by her weight, she looks/feels much chunkier than Jake who's always felt quite boney, but she weighs 2.2 and he weighs 2kg!

Ferns eye is certainly no worse, but no better either. Some days I think oh it looks a bit better than other times not! She finishes the drops today (steroid so 7 days), but has another week of baytril. I think I'll call and get her an appt booked for next Wednesday morning with a view of her staying for X ray/flush

I'm sorry her eye hasn't gotten better... I hope an x-ray will tell you more about what might be going on, and that the flush will help. Sending Fern lots more vibes.

So Fern has been in the vets today, they kindly let me take her in later after calling when they were ready for her so she wasn't waiting since she did get really stressed in the consult last time. Jake went with her. She was in a few hours and has had her tear ducts flushed, the vet said her right side was difficult to flush but no pus came out/just the saline. She's had a skull x ray and teeth look good/nothing sinister behind her eye. She has metacam and baytril see if it improves. We got home at 4pm and she was still a bit wobbly from GA so recently been done but she's not eaten yet. She did have a syringe feed at the vets to make sure she had some food in her before discharge and they routinely give an emeprid injection for any bunny under GA.

Thank you, fingers crossed. It's difficult as she's not very foody (apart from hay/fibasticks) like veg wise not sure anything can tempt her

Poor Fern, I hope her eye clears up. It's good news at least that the x ray didn't show anything sinister going on.

My bridge bun Scrappy used to suffer with a weepy eye. The first time I took her in she was put on a course of baytril and eye drops (along with metacam) but that really didn't do anything. Same thing again when they tried Septrin as the antibiotic.

In the end the only thing that cleared it was a tear duct flush and two week course of penicillin. With following episodes we just repeated the same protocol as that was the one that worked.

I thought I'd mention it in case the baytril doesn't fully resolve the issue.

Back