• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Now Fern has a runny eye U/D Injection tips for 'stiff' penicillin??

Aw no, that's such a shame :( I'm sure she'll be fine if she does need the op. She couldn't be in better hands with you :)

Excuse the messy crate!
dc3232516d7206e942baaaf95c930047.jpg

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

This is purely your bad luck with eyes. My heart breaks for you. Fern is so lucky to have you and Jake. Your horrid prior experience with Jasmine has given you information to make sure Fern will have a positive outcome.
Sending vibes for you and Fern. Hugs.

Thank you everyone. I don't know if it's a fluke but her eye is less protruding today and the swelling gone down, hopefully this is a good sign and it will continue. Maybe it's the metronidazole making a difference I'm not sure! We'll get the results of the swab by Wednesday as it's a culture so 5-7 days so fingers crossed we've found the best abx.

I always love seeing photos of Jakey & Fern - you should show them off more

I hope she is already on the right antibiotics & the swelling continues to go down. Loads of vibes

Thank you everyone. I don't know if it's a fluke but her eye is less protruding today and the swelling gone down, hopefully this is a good sign and it will continue. Maybe it's the metronidazole making a difference I'm not sure! We'll get the results of the swab by Wednesday as it's a culture so 5-7 days so fingers crossed we've found the best abx.

I've been trying to find this thread so I could reply to it as you had on Jenna's thread. I remember you said the vet took Fern off abx to better determine what was going on with her eye. Hoping that the current treatment resolves her issue without the need for stronger intervention and that the time she had to go without medicine wasn't too hard on her. :love: xxxxx
I seem to have missed seeing the photos though. :( (ETA: Ah, found the photo...what a cute couple they are!)

I'm curious, I thought metronidazole was an antifungal? This is a drug Jenna took years ago but that caused her much stomach upset and I was warned it could've affected her liver. I didn't realize it could be used along with baytril.

Last edited:
Thank you all :) admittedly I don't take many photos of them as Jake is so nosey he's always right up to the camera or moving! They are a beautiful pair :love: Her eye still looks ok, compared to when it was at its worse.

Metronidazole is a antibiotics and I think works for some parasites too, not sure about fungal but the 'zole' bit at the end certainly sounds like fungal?? Antifungals can effect the liver more readily, I was on fluconazole for a long time and liver was a worry. We use it at work for mainly infections to do with the gut. The exotic referral vet explained about baytril working well in the bone, and like it works alongside other abx well despite if it's resistant, something about letting the other abx in, she explained it much better of course!!

Thank you again for all the vibes xx

Thank you all :) admittedly I don't take many photos of them as Jake is so nosey he's always right up to the camera or moving! They are a beautiful pair :love: Her eye still looks ok, compared to when it was at its worse.

Metronidazole is a antibiotics and I think works for some parasites too, not sure about fungal but the 'zole' bit at the end certainly sounds like fungal?? Antifungals can effect the liver more readily, I was on fluconazole for a long time and liver was a worry. We use it at work for mainly infections to do with the gut. The exotic referral vet explained about baytril working well in the bone, and like it works alongside other abx well despite if it's resistant, something about letting the other abx in, she explained it much better of course!!

Thank you again for all the vibes xx

Metronidazole works on anaerobic bacteria which other abx may not do. I have used it in combo with other abx for ear infections and on its own for Penicillin induced enteritis. AFAIK Metronidazole has no antifungal effects. It does have antiprotozoal properties. It is Metabolised by the liver, so I assume longterm use would need monitoring in that respect x

That's good to know thanks! Yeah Jasmine was on it trying to treat her antibiotic induced enterotoxemia :(

Back