• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

John -Joe-Sore Hock Nightmare

InspectorMorse

Wise Old Thumper
JJ has had sore hocks from a very young age, about 6 months. So I knew it was going to be a life long problem as he is a Rex and if sore hocks occurs in Rexes before the age of 1 they rarely fully resolve.

Unlike Lady Lydia JJ will NOT keep any form of dressing on his hocks, which makes managing the problem even harder. Today his left hock broke open and blood literally gushed out. It took ages for me to stop it. I was on the verge of hitting the panic button ( calling our Vet…….again) when the bleeding finally stopped. I have managed to put a dressing on the hock and he has had his meds. Now I am sitting watching as he works hard to get the dressing off.

I am at a loss as to what to do :cry:

OMG This is so scary, I'm really sorry. Will he be okay, glad he has a mother like you, I'm sending a lot of vibrations :( xxxxxxxxx

One hour in and he has not managed to get the bandage off.....yet

LsQDBU6.jpg

Can you use any spray-on skin stuff? I don't like the stuff, personally, though.
Or those thin plasters that act like stitches?
Baby socks over the dressings? With loose elastoplast tape on top?
Mini cones on his ankles so he can't get to the dressings?

I've run out of ideas...

I hope you find something that works.

I wonder if the longer he is unsuccessful in getting it off, the more he might come to accept it. I hope something will work. Sore hocks are horrid.

I now realise what an Angel Lydia was with regards to her bandages. She wore them on both hocks and never tried to chew them off. She was also much more Co-operative with having them put on. JJ does everything possible to make it difficult. I feel so mean as it is obvious how much he hates it :cry:

Trying to remember the brand name of the socks that Parsleys Warren used for their sore hock bun. They had to be imported. Would it be worth looking into those at all?

Trying to remember the brand name of the socks that Parsleys Warren used for their sore hock bun. They had to be imported. Would it be worth looking into those at all?

Yeh, I have looked at those but I honestly think he would chew anything that is on his leg.

The bandage is off….:roll: I worry that he will ingest some of the bandage/ dressing pads if I am not around and end up with a GI tract obstruction :cry:

Poor JJ. :( Fiver's hocks were always a mess and probably contributed to his back problems. It's a hard balance trying to work out what to do to keep the heels from worsening without causing other issues and I'm sorry JJ isn't cooperative. If only we could explain we're just trying to help them. :(

Sending hugs and healing vibes for you and wee John-Joe. xxxxx

Ah Jane, you first, then JJ, what happened to you today, it must be an unlucky day :( xxxxxx

Oh, poor JJ. I'm sorry it got so very bad today. :( It must be so hard to take care of his sore hock if he won't let anything stay on his foot. :(

Sending lots of vibes for him.

Is there something he loves he could have to distract him from chewing them off? Or is it very much a single minded attack until the bandages go?

I did read a while ago about using spray on plaster to form a barrier for them but I was never sure if it was a good idea or not.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

With cats and dogs that remove dressings, you can put some decoy 'dressings' on fur in other areas (eg bits of tape) - it helps to distract them. But they tend not to ingest dressings, and you can use muzzles or cones as well.

Back