Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Put bunny down?

Default Put bunny down?

Hi this is my first post. Bunny is about 11 ( rescue bun so unsure ). He possibly has EC as lost steadiness in back legs just before Christmas. He's on Panacur but no tangible improvement yet. Every vet visit feels like they will threaten to put him down & is really scary. But he eats very heartily, sleeps well, lies on my lap for cuddles several times a day. Always looks relaxed. He helps me to clean his bum in the mornings! Engages brilliantly with us. He is on Metacam and has been for 2 years - suspected arthritis.
    Hand on heart I don't think he's ready to go yet. Can the vet make us have him put down? Strikes me that he's disabled, but contented. He has tonnes of love & attention and is doted on all the time ( house bunny ). Anyone had similar experiences? Thank you.

Sent from my LM-X120 using Tapatalk

No, you cannot be forced to have a Rabbit PTS. It could be that the loss of steadiness of his hind legs is related to his arthritis, not EC. This is not unusual in a very elderly Rabbit. Take some videos of how your Rabbit behaves when at home, showing that he is content and not at all distressed. You can then show this to the Vet. Vets only see the Rabbit in a clinical setting when the Rabbit is unlikely to exhibit ‘normal’ ( for them) behaviour.

Hopefully you have a good relationship with your Vet and any decisions regarding PTS will be made jointly, which is how it should be.

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Warren Veteran

You have to give consent for PTS. A vet can discuss it with you but can't force the decision. Tell your vet what you have said here - that bunny has a good quality of life and you are continuing to support that. Rabbits can live happily with all kinds of disability. I think you will know when he's had enough and you have to make a decision on his future. It doesn't sound like it is now.

As said above. I always wight if rabbit has good quality of life or not. Is he happy or not? Is it bothering to him/her? And those are main factors when I decide to put animal to sleep. If my animal gets diagnosed with osteosarcoma I put them down ASAP. Before it gets too painfull for them.

Your vet can advise you but ultimately its your decision. He sounds like he still has quality of life, you know your bun better than anyone and it sounds like you're doing everything to keep him comfortable. I've had a disabled bun who was happy and content, but I knew when things changed and made the decision to let him go. I hope you have lots of time left with your boy xx

I can empathise, I have the same anxieties every time my very wonky old girl goes for her review. You sound like you're doing amazing with him & he obviously appreciates the help. Helping you clean his bum He doesn't sound ready to go to me since you have such a nice bond

To everyone who has so kindly replied - I'm most grateful for your responses. Thank you so much. You have helped me to realize I have good reasons to stand my ground and put my case. He's a happy boy, he often purrs with contentment ( not fear ), having lived with him since 2012, we can safely say we know him far better than the vet. By the way our vet is great ( took a few attempts to find one who is bunny savvy!). The vet says she doesn't doubt how well he is cared for - so that's a good start - but I'm not sure she will see his transition to disability as something which can be managed so he is completely comfortable. Your responses have really given me hope.

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I can empathise, I have the same anxieties every time my very wonky old girl goes for her review. You sound like you're doing amazing with him & he obviously appreciates the help. Helping you clean his bum He doesn't sound ready to go to me since you have such a nice bond
    You clearly know exactly how I feel - I very much hope your old girl ( aww!) is doing well!

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    No, you cannot be forced to have a Rabbit PTS. It could be that the loss of steadiness of his hind legs is related to his arthritis, not EC. This is not unusual in a very elderly Rabbit. Take some videos of how your Rabbit behaves when at home, showing that he is content and not at all distressed. You can then show this to the Vet. Vets only see the Rabbit in a clinical setting when the Rabbit is unlikely to exhibit ‘normal’ ( for them) behaviour.

Hopefully you have a good relationship with your Vet and any decisions regarding PTS will be made jointly, which is how it should be.
    Great idea & I've started taking videos today

I had elderly and disabled bunnies in the past and provided supportive care until it was their time to go to the rainbow bridge.
    You should not be pressured into a decision for a bunny who is comfortable and happy.