• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My sweet girl has gone | My old girl is winding down

Not had a Rabbit have the procedure done myself but if I were in your situation I would seriously consider it as a blind Rabbit who is not in pain is going to have a better quality of life than a Rabbit with minimal vision and constant eye pain.

Not had a Rabbit have the procedure done myself but if I were in your situation I would seriously consider it as a blind Rabbit who is not in pain is going to have a better quality of life than a Rabbit with minimal vision and constant eye pain.

I agree. I think her already impaired eyesight means it won't be such a big adjustment. Lots of vibes for your little old lady

Thank you both! I agree, I think the injection is the best choice under the circumstances too, as hard as it is. Illy had another checkup today and her eye pressures have remained steadily very high, despite the new drops and overall increased frequency. She's tentatively scheduled to have the eye treatment next Tuesday.

The panacur doesn't seem to have done much, plus her eyes are bulging & high pressure, so the vets suspect an underlying cause such as a chest tumour or brain tumour. We're discussing doing a CT at the same time as her eye treatment, but I'm a little unsure about whether to do the CT or not. I'm not convinced knowing that it's X or Y tumour will make much of a difference to her treatment plan, assuming she's going to be maxed out on pain meds anyway for her comfort. The vet did mention the possibility of a steroid that might help a bit if it's a chest tumour. I don't want to 'over treat' her though, if that makes sense?

My concerns are: taking her miles away for the CT (vs just the short trip to RVC Beaumont where they can do the injections), at what point is intervention 'too much' and more for me than for her, will the CT change anything or is it just satisfying our need to 'know' what's going on and finally, I hate to admit it, but cost plays a factor too. Does anyone have any advice or opinions they can share? I have cried so much already as I'm so worried about doing what's best for her. If the CT is the right thing to do, then we'll do it, I just want to make sure it definitely is. Sorry this was a ramble.. :(

If diagnostics weren't going to change the treatment path then I don't see the point of putting a 12 year old bunny through the stress + the financial impact on yourself. Wishing her all the best for the procedure on Tuesday - i would go for that as its about making her comfy as possible

If diagnostics weren't going to change the treatment path then I don't see the point of putting a 12 year old bunny through the stress + the financial impact on yourself. Wishing her all the best for the procedure on Tuesday - i would go for that as its about making her comfy as possible

I agree.

I have had numerous Rabbits who had a corticosteroid as part of palliative care for various conditions including Thymomas ( tumour in chest)

I agree with j&b, too. If the results of the CT scan aren't going to affect her treatment, I wouldn't put her through it. I'm sorry her eye pressure is still so high. :( If she has the eye treatment next week, I hope it'll go well and will help her. Sending Illy lots of vibes.

I agree.

I have had numerous Rabbits who had a corticosteroid as part of palliative care for various conditions including Thymomas ( tumour in chest)

Do you mind me asking how they were diagnosed with their tumours? I'm wondering if there's another option to the CT.

One thing the vet did mention is that he personally suspects a brain tumour, due to her sudden head tilt (she is almost always turned to the left now) and the fact that she's spinning sometimes and that the panacur hasn't done anything. She has also had some leg weakness, but we've assumed that that is muscle wastage more than anything. But it's an educated guess, so it could be something else.

Illy really fought me earlier when I needed to do her eye drops, which is very unusual. She usually just lets them happen and then eats her medicine-laced breakfast. She's span quite a few times in circles but has otherwise been normal. I wasn't sure if the spinning is from her working out the space around her, due to me having stepped in and creating an obstruction, or if it's indeed neurological. Her eyes have also been quite gooey, so she's looking a little rough at the moment.

I haven't heard from the vets yet to discuss the CT, so I'm expecting a call later this afternoon.

Thank you so much, and to RoB and BM too! That is my instinct as well, focusing on her comfort and the essentials for treatment rather than aggressively trying to extend her life. There is a part of me that wonders if we should be considering PTS sooner rather than later too. So that she doesn't deteriorate and be unhappy?

The vets are SO good, but I do feel a little bit like they want to throw the whole kitchen sink at her because we *can*, but maybe less so because we *should*. I did ask a couple of times whether the CT would change the treatment plan and the answer was that it might, but we don't know for sure until we do it.

I feel like a terrible selfish person for considering things like just strong pain relief, and/or eventually helping Illy to rainbow bridge. I desperately don't want to lose her, but every vet visit stresses her out more. Her usual vet said recently that she's already exceeded all our expectations, due to being diagnosed with an enlarged heart at the end of 2020.

Last edited:
:cry:

Our vet kindly spoke to anaesthesiologists, ophthalmologists and other exotic vets to get their opinions on Illy's case. They're so kind and good at what they do. Essentially, Illy is very high risk for not making it through a GA, due to her enlarged heart, age and potential neurological issues. I have a gut feeling Illy wouldn't make it through a GA, so I've decided against both the CT and the eye injections for now. Instead, the vets are going to look at maxing out her pain meds, then we'll consider PTS in the next few weeks.

I've been expecting this, but I'm devastated. :cry: The vets also don't offer at home PTS either, which I thought they did, so I'm also really sad that when the time comes I'll need to take her in. :cry:

So sorry that you have to face this dilemma, but pleased that you have a supportive vet. I hope Lily remains comfortable and happy for as long as possible. Yes I agree, it is hard having to take them in, rather than be at home. This is something I had to face last May, when I had to let Treacle go, but I have to say the vet was wonderful and understanding. He gave the injection and then left me with her for as long as I wanted, then I brought her home. It felt dignified, so I hope that you feel that, if and when that happens. Sending lots of vibes for Lily, and a hug for you xx

Oh I'm so sorry to read your update. I hope you have some lovely quality time with your girl for the remaining time she has.

I can empathise about your concerns re: not having PTS app at home, especially for a nervy bun. I would have loved this for Joey who I lost last month. What was a comfort was although he hated the journey like normal & hated waiting more he was given a sedative so we could have some nice chilled out time. It really helped us that our last memory of Joey was calm & relaxed. I only mention this because I don't think all vets use sedatives prior to PTS but its something I will always request in the future.

You really have explored everything possible, its hard to think about letting go. I'm so sorry :(

I only mention this because I don't think all vets use sedatives prior to PTS but its something I will always request in the future.
Mine doesn't, and Lopsy's last injection was quite traumatic (he'd been good as gold with anything like that for 7+yrs :() but TBH I just wanted him gone ASAP because he was proper suffering at that point. But the actual experience etc. with seeing him and the vet talking to us etc. was great.

The biggest hugs Boots, it's never easy xxx

I'm so sorry the eye treatment isn't an option for Illy after all, and that you're now facing having to say goodbye to her in the near future, focusing on keeping her comfortable in the meantime. That's so unfortunate that your vets don't offer PTS at home, either, so you'll have to take her in... Your vet does sound so kind and like they have done everything everything they can to explore what could help Illy. I'm just so sorry about the conclusion you and they reached. I hope you and Illy will have some wonderful, comfortable time together while she's still with you.

Hey friends, thank you again for all your kind words, they mean a lot and it is honestly so helpful to be able to speak to people who ‘get it’.

Illy has been trucking on and doing okay. Her eye pressure has reduced a little, down to about 30 in her left eye and high 30s in her right eye. Still not great, but it’s been nice to see some improvement there. When she’s lying on her right side, her left eye is almost totally closed.

In the last couple of days, her legs seem to have become quite weak, mainly when she’s due her meds. She’ll fall over onto her side and not be able to get up. Or she’ll lie down/fall over and decide to sleep, but her back legs are in one direction and her front legs are in the other direction. It’s hard to describe, but imagine your bun flopped on their right side (back legs would be facing/turned left), but then their front legs facing/turned to the right.

When she’s fully dosed with meds she seems to find it easier to loaf and get up, but overall she does seem to be struggling a bit.

I don’t know what to do… I know PTS is on the horizon, but I just don’t know when the right time is. Today she’s been throwing her cups around, eating lots of snacks and loafing. But then she’s also fallen a couple of times.

What I should have added, is that when she’s laying strangely in the twisted position, she doesn’t seem distressed. It looks really uncomfortable though? And is she just too tired to even try and move? Or does she just not care?

I remember someone saying on here that PTS is better a day too soon, than a day too late. That’s playing on my mind too. I don’t want to wait until she’s really miserable. But you wonder if she just needs a bit more time too?

Latest update

Illy had another couple of incidences where she couldn't get up today, but once she's upright, she's fine thankfully.

I got to chat to one of the exotic vets and she's recommended we up her Gabapentin doses to three times a day (from two), then see how she goes. I'm happy with this approach and hopefully the extra comfort the meds will provide will help Illy have good QoL for a bit longer.

Back