• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits won't sleep on hay or straw

BethanyRose

Young Bun
Hi, I have put a message on here before about my outdoor 6 month old Netherland Dwarves. They are in an Eglu hutch and run, but refuse to sleep in the hutch. They are determined to stay in the run in all weathers and at night. The floor has half kids sponge play matting which they love to sleep on. This also keeps them off the floor a little so they are dry. The whole length of the run is covered with an Omlet rain cover (which is useless as it only covers the top not the sides, a blanket and taurpalin. I have also put wicker garden chairs that go down to the floor around each side to block any wind! In the day obviously I pull the taurpalin back from the front so they can see out etc.

On sunny days I remove all the covers. On on/off rainy days I have to keep the taurpalin on the whole time with just the front open otherwise the run gets wet, it's abit of nightmare constantly having to adjust it to get the balance between keeping them warm/dry/seeing out! Anyway, I am still totally stuck of what to put in their hutch. I have tried every combination under the sun to get them to sleep in there and not keep pooing and weeing everywhere in there.

I've tried paper and straw, just straw, litter box and straw, litter box and hay, paper and hay. I'm not sure why it is suggested to use hay as bedding? Because obviously they just poop all in it and wouldn't want to sleep on poop? The advice is change bedding once a week?? But I feel like I have to change the hutch at least ever other day as there is so much poop? They never ever poop or wee in their run. They have a main litter box in their with their Timothy Hay. I just want to get them to stop using the Eglu as their main toilet and maybe nap in there! Any ideas??

They might find the "hutch" too much of a trap so they stay out of it in order to keep a look-out. Personally it doesn't sound like this Eglu is working and it causes so much messing about for you. Most experienced Rabbit owners would recommend a shed/aviary, a playhouse with attached run or a big double hutch so the Rabbits have upstairs as well as down. You would need to cover a hutch if you decided on this method. Shops like Pets at Home sell a 6' double hutch and you can buy a cover which covers all round and has a see=through front. Pets at Home covers are better than some other covers being sold. Rabbits like to sleep in their litter trays and as long as it is cleaned out every day it doesn't cause any problems. I hope you can come to abetter solution for your animals and yourself.

Rabbits tend to sit and munch on hay so if it's in a litter tray, they will eat it and toilet in the same place. It's not a problem as long as the tray is spot cleaned daily, and fully cleaned as often as needed. If you don't want all the hay in the tray, many of us use some sort of basket over the tray, so they can eat the clean hay and less is wasted in the tray. Shredded paper isn't brilliant for bunny bedding as it gets soggy and cold, and may also be eaten - which can cause digestive issues. Newspaper sheets can be used underneath hay to make cleaning out easier, though.

Are you sure the rabbits aren't using the hutch? If they are toileting in there, they are probably spending more time in there than you think. They are obviously well litter trained, which does make it easier to keep the whole run clean. If they are randomly toileting everywhere, it can be an issue with flies in warmer weather as you have to be able to sweep up at least once a day.

You can get clear tarpaulins (often reinforced with a green mesh) which could be left permanently in place, at least over part of the run, so that you don't have to adjust it all the time. You would still need shade protection on sunny days. Many rabbits don't mind a bit of wet and will actively sit out in all weathers, but they do need the option of a warm, dry, draught proof area as well.

Thank you for your advice. This is my first time owning rabbits. By paper I meant yes a few sheets of newspaper under the straw, so it's easier to pick up and clean out. But I found that newspaper stinks to high hell if urine gets on it. So I am now using my favourite Back to nature in the hutch (which is what I also use in the hay/litter box in the run). I didn't really want to use it in there as it's expensive, but I really does absorb wee. They tend to wee mostly in one corner of the hutch so I put the back to nature there and at the moment hay everywhere else. What about just putting back to nature in the whole thing?? Seeing as they don't bury down in the dam straw anyway. Although yes that will turn the whole hutch into one big litter tray. I have a love/hate relationship with the Eglu. The run is fantastic as my rabbits can stand up really tall and stretch. I don't really like the wooden ones. I don't really have a spare wall to put it against and the height in them is pretty low. They seem happy enough and Binky etc. I also move the whole thing to a place in the shade in summer, so don't have to worry about that. At the moment they are on our main patio by the house. Your'e right, they are probably visiting the hutch a fair bit (due to all the poos) and it's a breeze to clean out. But I am just not sure what to put in there. Do I give up on the idea of them sleeping in there and just provide back to nature and a pile of hay in there?? My rabbits don't seem to snuggle into hay to sleep and keep warm ..they just love their playmats and little blanket 😄 Even on a frosty morning when I am opening the taurpalin up, they are there asleep in the run!

Is Back to Nature itself a warm enough carpet for them? It seems pretty warm? But obviously not something you can bury into and snuggle down into...mind you, like I say, they aren't tending to like sleeping like that anyway, they prefer something flat to sleep on

I would continue to use a deep layer of hay on top of whatever you prefer as a substrate. They will also be eating the hay, which is good for them. The also have each other for snuggling up and keeping warm. They have the opportunity to be in the hutch bit if they want to be - which is the important thing.

Rabbits are diurnal - so are most active at dusk and dawn. They don't sleep when we do, so when you see them on a morning, they have probably been active for a few hours.

Thank you. I have stuck with the back to nature and a layer of softer Timothy Hay on top. I change it every 2-3 days. I change their hay/litter box which is in their run every other day. Obviously in the hutch they eat the hay and poop on it...do other bunnies they not mind sleeping in poop then?? I've noticed they are visiting the hutch more, but not sleeping in there. I have been up all hours and I'm a night owl and checked outside a couple of times and they are never both in the hutch sleeping. Still sleeping in the run on their fleece blankets and playmats 😄 But as you say, they do have the option of a hutch so I'll stop worrying. The run is pretty well protected from the elements and stays dry, so maybe they are just happy in there 👍

When I had outdoor bunnies, I used rubber stable matting on the floor of the shed, this was left clear of bedding. Then I used large shallow underbed storage boxes as litter trays and put wood pellet cat litter in there and hay on top. I did similar when I had hutch and run set ups, in the hutch was non slip vynil and I used litter trays wherever they needed toilets with wood pellet litter and hay on top. It cuts down on waste, makes it easier to clean them out and also makes it easier for them to know where is the toilet and where isn’t. There was hardly any poops not in trays and no wee. I’ve always found bunnies will wee and poo on everything that is soft, especially blankets and fleece!

I have some rubber matting under the hutch to catch any wee drops and same as you. Half my run is play matting and half patio to keep their nails down. They never poo or wee in the run as they have a litter box in there. Just kind of wish they wouldn't also use the small hutch as a litter tray too😄 Mine don't ever poo or wee on blankets. Maybe I should try a blanket in the hutch!

I have some rubber matting under the hutch to catch any wee drops and same as you. Half my run is play matting and half patio to keep their nails down. They never poo or wee in the run as they have a litter box in there. Just kind of wish they wouldn't also use the small hutch as a litter tray too�� Mine don't ever poo or wee on blankets. Maybe I should try a blanket in the hutch!

I would put a litter tray in the hutch, and leave the rest of the floor clear of bedding, to see if that helps with the litter training.

Funnily enough I have! I put a triangular litter box in there only and a chew toy on the floor of the hutch with the rest of it completely clear of anything and they've been using the litter tray hooray! A few poops on the floor, but no wees which is the main things as I hate cleaning those up. They seep down the sides of the floor in the Eglu. Now hopefully doing all their wees in the litter box

Back