• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bailey - total ear canal ablation - thoughts?

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi all, it’s been quite a while since I’ve been on here so hope you don’t mind me messaging. Bailey has been to the vets today where we did a head CT. This has shown the worst possible news.. full on middle ear infection which has already eaten away at his bone. The vets feel this is far too serious to try and tackle with anti-biotics due to how deep the infection is. I’m absolutely heart broken and our options are either palliative care until the end or TECA. I’m in bits tonight trying to read up as much as I can. He’s currently provisionally booked for his surgery next Wednesday but I would really appreciate any help or comments or experiences people might have of this? Xx

I'm sorry. I've only seen this operation done on dogs and one cat at work, it is a big operation and must have really good pain relief for after. After recovery the animals are much more comfortable.

I've no experience of this, but really sorry to hear that Bailey has such an awful infection. Will be thinking of you both, and am sending loads of vibes for a good outcome xx

Hello! I am very sorry to hear about Bailey. I am afraid I can't give you any advice but Inspector Morse aka Jack's Jane will hopefully be on line early tomorrow and she may be able to advise you. In the meantime don't feel bad about being absent from the Forum, we do understand. I am sending lots of well wishes for you and your Bunny.

I don't know enough to advise but I think I remember you losing one of your prescious bunnies in the past to ear infection, Honey, if my memory serves me.

I am so sorry you are facing it again.

I have had one bunny who had ear canal ablation and she recovered well though it did seem to take a long time to heal. I lost her to an unrelated condition only about 4 months after I put her through the surgery.

I wish Bailey well, whatever you decide.

Thank you so much everyone and thank you bunnybuddy, yes it was my little girl Honey. I really don’t have any luck with rabbits! :(

Bailey has been with us 6 years now and truly is my baby. Over the last 3 years we’ve continued to deal with re-occurring bladder stones and has been on Metacam for the last 12 months so this has really caught us out. Everytime we take him for his quarterly check up his outer ears are clean as a whistle and no sign of any infection at all but recently he’s developed nystagmus which caused us to go for the CT. Myself and the vet were quite shocked ourselves but it just shows how much they hide these illnesses. He’s had 6 operations in his little life, he’s a true fighter and I’m hoping he’ll survive and conker this 7th one. In himself, he’s still eating well and I even had a Binky off him 3 days ago! So there is no way I can give up on him.. just absolutely bricking it and hope I’m doing the right thing by him xx

I am so sorry Bailey has this issue. You know your bunny best, so I am sure you will make the right decision. My bridge bunny was almost twice his age, so no surgery recommended.
Sending you both positive vibes.

I'm so sorry Bailey is so poorly. you know him best & will know whats right for him. He sounds like a brave little soldier. Lots of vibes

Hello,

A TECA is major invasive high risk surgery with no guarantee of a successful outcome. Infection can recur. Personally I have not ever agreed to it for a Rabbit in my care, but I know of some people who have. Often repeated surgeries.

If you are on FB I suggest messaging Twigs Way at Parsley’s Warren Sanctuary. I believe some of her Sanctuary Rabbits have had TECAs.

https://www.facebook.com/parsleyswarren.uk

I think the decision whether or not to operate can only be made on an individual case basis. Taking into account the age of the Rabbit, whether they have any other health problems, whether They are of a character able to cope with the hands on care needed post operatively, etc etc . Also, the financial implications for the owner if the Rabbit is not Insured. A harsh statement, but it is true that not everyone can afford the thousands of pounds that might be involved.

I hope that all goes well for your Bunny

Last edited:
I don’t have any experience of this so I can’t advise, but I’m sending lots of vibes xx

I'm so sorry Bailey has such a serious middle ear infection. Poor boy. :( I don't have any advice, but I want to send him lots of vibes, and wish you the best in making a decision about the surgery.

I have no experience of the surgery, but there's an instagram account whose rabbit has just had the surgery and she's been documenting some of the pre and post op care. The username is BlancoBun and there's a highlight called Ear Health.

Thank you so much everyone!

We’ve taken everything into consideration, from his personality to wanting him Pain free. He’s been on daily meds the majority of his life and due to him having sub-cut fluids for the last 2 years, his skin is quite tough and he wouldn’t tolerate penicillin injections.

I’ve joined head tilt hoppers page who have been amazing. I’ve also found someone who is Having the same operation, the same week at our vets too.

I know their are potential side affects and a 1/10 chance he’ll develop head tilt but I have to give him the opportunity. The ear infection itself is eating away at the bone, but it’s actually coming out towards his outer ear instead of going inside towards his inner so it’s a small positive.

His surgery is booked for the 17th and I’ll be sure to keep posted on here and thank everyone so much for their best wishes and vibes. We’re very blessed to have him and he’s such a special little man xxx

Last edited:
I have no knowledge or experience in this matter, so all I can say is I'm sending out a lot of vibrations for Bailey and good luck with the surgery. Xxxxxxxx

Hi all, just to update this post - we went ahead with baileys operation which included a partial canal ablation & bulla osteotomy.

Today he’s come home and doing so well. He has a slightly droopy right side which we’re hoping is temporary otherwise doing great! He’s eating well and meds wise is on penicillin injections and metronidazole for 6 weeks which we’re hoping will help get on top of this infection.

Thanks so much for everyone’s well wishes and support for my special little boy xx

Back