Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bailey - total ear canal ablation - thoughts?

Default Bailey - total ear canal ablation - thoughts?

Hi all, itís been quite a while since Iíve been on here so hope you donít mind me messaging. Bailey has been to the vets today where we did a head CT. This has shown the worst possible news.. full on middle ear infection which has already eaten away at his bone. The vets feel this is far too serious to try and tackle with anti-biotics due to how deep the infection is. Iím absolutely heart broken and our options are either palliative care until the end or TECA. Iím in bits tonight trying to read up as much as I can. Heís currently provisionally booked for his surgery next Wednesday but I would really appreciate any help or comments or experiences people might have of this? Xx

I'm sorry. I've only seen this operation done on dogs and one cat at work, it is a big operation and must have really good pain relief for after. After recovery the animals are much more comfortable.

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

I've no experience of this, but really sorry to hear that Bailey has such an awful infection. Will be thinking of you both, and am sending loads of vibes for a good outcome xx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Wise Old Thumper

Hello! I am very sorry to hear about Bailey. I am afraid I can't give you any advice but Inspector Morse aka Jack's Jane will hopefully be on line early tomorrow and she may be able to advise you. In the meantime don't feel bad about being absent from the Forum, we do understand. I am sending lots of well wishes for you and your Bunny.

I don't know enough to advise but I think I remember you losing one of your prescious bunnies in the past to ear infection, Honey, if my memory serves me.

I am so sorry you are facing it again.

I have had one bunny who had ear canal ablation and she recovered well though it did seem to take a long time to heal. I lost her to an unrelated condition only about 4 months after I put her through the surgery.

I wish Bailey well, whatever you decide.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13) and 12.12.20

Thank you so much everyone and thank you bunnybuddy, yes it was my little girl Honey. I really donít have any luck with rabbits!

Bailey has been with us 6 years now and truly is my baby. Over the last 3 years weíve continued to deal with re-occurring bladder stones and has been on Metacam for the last 12 months so this has really caught us out. Everytime we take him for his quarterly check up his outer ears are clean as a whistle and no sign of any infection at all but recently heís developed nystagmus which caused us to go for the CT. Myself and the vet were quite shocked ourselves but it just shows how much they hide these illnesses. Heís had 6 operations in his little life, heís a true fighter and Iím hoping heíll survive and conker this 7th one. In himself, heís still eating well and I even had a Binky off him 3 days ago! So there is no way I can give up on him.. just absolutely bricking it and hope Iím doing the right thing by him xx
    Rest in peace my beautiful fur babies - Tango, Whiskey, Harvey & Honey **Forever in my heart**

I am so sorry Bailey has this issue. You know your bunny best, so I am sure you will make the right decision. My bridge bunny was almost twice his age, so no surgery recommended.
    Sending you both positive vibes.

I'm so sorry Bailey is so poorly. you know him best & will know whats right for him. He sounds like a brave little soldier. Lots of vibes

Hello,

A TECA is major invasive high risk surgery with no guarantee of a successful outcome. Infection can recur. Personally I have not ever agreed to it for a Rabbit in my care, but I know of some people who have. Often repeated surgeries.

If you are on FB I suggest messaging Twigs Way at Parsleyís Warren Sanctuary. I believe some of her Sanctuary Rabbits have had TECAs.

https://www.facebook.com/parsleyswarren.uk

I think the decision whether or not to operate can only be made on an individual case basis. Taking into account the age of the Rabbit, whether they have any other health problems, whether They are of a character able to cope with the hands on care needed post operatively, etc etc . Also, the financial implications for the owner if the Rabbit is not Insured. A harsh statement, but it is true that not everyone can afford the thousands of pounds that might be involved.

I hope that all goes well for your Bunny
    Last edited by InspectorMorse; 27-01-2022 at 08:28 AM.

ĎíAll war is a symptom of manís failure as a thinking animal.Ē
    ―John Steinbeck.

I used to be ĎJackís-Janeí but I have been logged out of that account and I canít get back in !

I don’t have any experience of this so I can’t advise, but I’m sending lots of vibes xx