Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Providing extra fibre?

Warren Scout

Thank you all for your replies.

Flopsy's mouth had been checked last time she was at the vets (2 weeks ago or so) and there was nothing wrong with her teeth. She is going to be spayed next month and I will ask the vet to examine her mouth very well during the anaesthetic.

There were pinworms in her poop a week ago or so and she was treated with an anti-parasite medication. Her poops look ok now, albeit they're small again...

That's interesting that kale may be making her gassy. I will try to feed her mainly herbs from now on.

I was at the vets today with my other bunny for his vaccinations, and I spoke to the vet about Flopsy. She recommended putting her on fibreplex just now.

Thank you all for telling me about the fibre rich leaves, I will have a look if I can get them (I'm not very plant savvy).

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy's Little Helper View Post
    Bramble leaves are an especially good source of fibre, and thankfully often in plentiful supply. Most bunnies don't mind the spikes on the leaves so you shouldn't have to worry about trimming them off.
    Sorry to be daft but are brambles blackberries? English is not my first language but when I googled bramble it showed me what Iíd call a blackberry bush. Is that what it is? If so Iíll be able to find some leaves as thereís loads of it around where I live

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Buka View Post
    Sorry to be daft but are brambles blackberries? English is not my first language but when I googled bramble it showed me what Iíd call a blackberry bush. Is that what it is? If so Iíll be able to find some leaves as thereís loads of it around where I live
    Yes, brambles are blackberries

Warren Veteran

Bramble / blackberry leaves are really good for fibre and available all year round if you know where to look (pretty much any unkempt areas of ground, roadsides, woodland, etc).
    Hawthorn and willow (any variety) should be in leaf fairly soon as well - those are fairly common to go foraging for. Hawthorn is common as hedging, and willows are often by water or in parkland.
    In a few months, there will also be raspberry and blackcurrant leaves and stems, which are also excellent sources of fibre, although not as easy to find unless you know someone with an allotment or who grows soft fruit in their garden.

Warren Scout

Thank you!