Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ptyalism

Hybrid View

Default Ptyalism

Hello, I just wondered if anyone knew, or had any experience of Ptyalism (excessive drooling) in bunnies?

Bungee has a very wet chin and some of her fur has come out She is also still experiencing very sticky eyes.
    We've had a eyes flushed twice, but it hasn't seem to help.

I took her to the vets yesterday and they checked her over again and said for a nearly 11 year old bunny she was in good shape. Good heart, nice soft tummy and a clean bum. They thought the drooling might be because she is struggling to breath out of her nose. They also checked her teeth and said apart from some tiny spurs they looked good.

She has come away with more eye drops, which she she will remain on now, and they did help before to clear things up, and also some Metacam for possible Arthritis in her back legs. She has started to stretch differently recently and I wondered if there was some pain there.

Other than that, she is still eating well and still loves a hop outside.

Any advice would be gratefully received x
    Bramble and Bo - Miss you both so much xxx

Dental problems are top of the list of possible causes. It is not possible to get a 100% view of the oral cavity of a Rabbit whilst the the Rabbit is awake

Abscesses, tumours or polyps in the mouth can cause ptyalism.

Did the Ptyalism start AFTER eye drop treatment was instigated ?

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Yes after the eye drops. We did them for a week about a month back and it cleared up her eyes. I really only noticed the drooling at the weekend and got her booked in for Monday. She looks like she's always eating, but I think it's excess salivia.

Quote Originally Posted by clarebear View Post
    Yes after the eye drops. We did them for a week about a month back and it cleared up her eyes. I really only noticed the drooling at the weekend and got her booked in for Monday. She looks like she's always eating, but I think it's excess salivia.
    I would strongly suspect dental problems

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Maybe I need a second opinion.
    I really wouldn't want her to go under anesthetic at her age.

Maybe I need a second opinion.
    I really wouldn't want her to go under anesthetic at her age.
    I understand your concerns. I have had 12-13 year old Rabbits have Dentals under GA in the skilled hands of a Rabbit Savvy Vet.

We have a new vets practice just opened near where I work. I might pop in for a chat later.
    I don't think Bungee has ever had a dental. Is it common for bunnies to suffer with their teeth when they are older?

We have a new vets practice just opened near where I work. I might pop in for a chat later.
    I don't think Bungee has ever had a dental. Is it common for bunnies to suffer with their teeth when they are older?
    Yes, very common

Poor girlie. Makes me so sad for her.

Yeah. Pain due to dental issues was in our case. It was bad. His imune system was weakend, It took only 3 days until vet appointment and skin was OMG. Inflamed above and beyond.

Keep him dry as musch as possible. You can use Plivasept or other antiseptic shamoo to wash off. Vets have it.

Photo of our "result". He was in no pain at this point. But first few days until meds kicked in. Uhhh
    https://mojalbum.com/anjasanja/kunci/foto/50015191