• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ptyalism

Really struggling with this. I lost my Dad suddenly 2 weeks ago and now Bungee is poorly. It's just so hard .

Thank you.
Bungee had been pooping, but seems to have stopped. I've started syringe feeding, luckily my boss loves animals and has let me work from home today. Also given fibreplex.

I'm so sorry you lost your dad :( It must feel very overwhelming having Bungee poorly too. Really hope she can get back on track. So many vibes for you both

I'm sorry she seems to have stopped pooping. Syringe feeding sounds like a good idea, yes, if she's only eating veggies and not pooping. It's amazing that she's been eating at all considering the operation she's had. I hope when you get the results they'll say it's not something that's likely to grow back. Sending Bungee lots of vibes.

I'm also really sorry you lost your dad so recently. No wonder you're really struggling, with Bungee being unwell on top of that.

We went to our local vets last night as Bunger still wasn't pooping. They gave her an emiprid jab and a morphine jab.
Been syringe feeding every couple of hours through the night and still no poops. I know there isn't a lot of food going in, but surely some of it has to come out? She hasn't pooped since Thursday evening. I don't know what else to do.
How much recovery would you normally give a recovering bunny? The vet said 5ml, a little and often, but this doesn't seem much to me.

We went to our local vets last night as Bunger still wasn't pooping. They gave her an emiprid jab and a morphine jab.
Been syringe feeding every couple of hours through the night and still no poops. I know there isn't a lot of food going in, but surely some of it has to come out? She hasn't pooped since Thursday evening. I don't know what else to do.
How much recovery would you normally give a recovering bunny? The vet said 5ml, a little and often, but this doesn't seem much to me.

I think she might benefit from IV fluids, ongoing prokinetics by injection and appropriate analgesia. Morphine will slow gut motility. Can you contact the Vet who performed the surgery and get Bungee admitted for more intensive care

With regards to the amount to syringe feed, it really depends on many factors, especially when there is no poo output. Monitoring gut sounds and palpating the abdomen to check for bloating etc.

Sending lots more vibes xx

The medication the surgeon put her on is Cisapride Suspension, Metacam Horse and Baytril. These are all twice a day. She is also on Exocin eye drops three times a day.
I'm still trying to syringe feed her, but she's much brighter and is putting up a real fight.
She's eaten a very small amount of greens, but that's all. We've even tried banana which she normally loves, but she has just licked it. We may have found one very tiny poo.
How long can she go on like this? I just don't know what else to try. The vets who did the surgery are over an hour away, so we went to a more local one yesterday. He said we were doing all the right things and it was just time. Just so worried about her.

Sending lots of vibes for your girlie. If she's favouring greens at the moment, I would try her with different ones and also some herbs. You could also try blending some and mixing it with the syringe feed. Have you tried her with fresh cut grass? I would also make all food super wet to get some fluid into her.

We have some very tiny poops!!
Just doing her meds and syringe feeding. She did well with her syringe feeding in the night.
She's cuddled up next to me and I can hear her tummy gurgling.
Still a long way to go.

The medication the surgeon put her on is Cisapride Suspension, Metacam Horse and Baytril. These are all twice a day. She is also on Exocin eye drops three times a day.

She has literally climbed into my PJ'S. She couldn't get any closer. I've just been groomed too. She has never done that before.

You can try put her CC mush in a dish. Perhaps she will eat on her own. Brko does. He prefers that way. So I just give him CC 3x per day in a dish when he needs it.

Back