• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ptyalism

clarebear

Mama Doe
Hello, I just wondered if anyone knew, or had any experience of Ptyalism (excessive drooling) in bunnies?

Bungee has a very wet chin and some of her fur has come out :cry: She is also still experiencing very sticky eyes.
We've had a eyes flushed twice, but it hasn't seem to help.

I took her to the vets yesterday and they checked her over again and said for a nearly 11 year old bunny she was in good shape. Good heart, nice soft tummy and a clean bum. They thought the drooling might be because she is struggling to breath out of her nose. They also checked her teeth and said apart from some tiny spurs they looked good.

She has come away with more eye drops, which she she will remain on now, and they did help before to clear things up, and also some Metacam for possible Arthritis in her back legs. She has started to stretch differently recently and I wondered if there was some pain there.

Other than that, she is still eating well and still loves a hop outside.

Any advice would be gratefully received x

Dental problems are top of the list of possible causes. It is not possible to get a 100% view of the oral cavity of a Rabbit whilst the the Rabbit is awake

Abscesses, tumours or polyps in the mouth can cause ptyalism.

Did the Ptyalism start AFTER eye drop treatment was instigated ?

Yes after the eye drops. We did them for a week about a month back and it cleared up her eyes. I really only noticed the drooling at the weekend and got her booked in for Monday. She looks like she's always eating, but I think it's excess salivia.

Yes after the eye drops. We did them for a week about a month back and it cleared up her eyes. I really only noticed the drooling at the weekend and got her booked in for Monday. She looks like she's always eating, but I think it's excess salivia.

I would strongly suspect dental problems

We have a new vets practice just opened near where I work. I might pop in for a chat later.
I don't think Bungee has ever had a dental. Is it common for bunnies to suffer with their teeth when they are older?

Yeah. Pain due to dental issues was in our case. It was bad. His imune system was weakend, It took only 3 days until vet appointment and skin was OMG. Inflamed above and beyond.

Keep him dry as musch as possible. You can use Plivasept or other antiseptic shamoo to wash off. Vets have it.

Photo of our "result". He was in no pain at this point. But first few days until meds kicked in. Uhhh
https://mojalbum.com/anjasanja/kunci/foto/50015191

Yeah. Pain due to dental issues was in our case. It was bad. His imune system was weakend, It took only 3 days until vet appointment and skin was OMG. Inflamed above and beyond.

Keep him dry as musch as possible. You can use Plivasept or other antiseptic shamoo to wash off. Vets have it.

Photo of our "result". He was in no pain at this point. But first few days until meds kicked in. Uhhh
https://mojalbum.com/anjasanja/kunci/foto/50015191

Oh no, that's so sad. Is your bunny okay now?

Have just emailed another vets for a second opinion.
If it is her teeth it certainly doesn't put her off her food!

Yeah he got his fur back. It took time, lots of TLC, he has quite regular dental appointments. It is up and down with him. At this point, he refuses to eat hay. He just eats herbs, pellets and fresh veggies. Personaly I would rather risk anesthesia for skull x-rays, dental work, then having bun in pain or discomfort.

Yeah he got his fur back. It took time, lots of TLC, he has quite regular dental appointments. It is up and down with him. At this point, he refuses to eat hay. He just eats herbs, pellets and fresh veggies. Personaly I would rather risk anesthesia for skull x-rays, dental work, then having bun in pain or discomfort.

That's good to hear.
I agree about the anaesthesia, I just worry because of her age.

I'm taking Bungee to see an approved RWAF vet this afternoon.
She's still dribbling and has lost a lot of fur from under her chin and neck.
Really worried about taking her :cry:

So took Bungee to see the vet yesterday. They have found a lump/growth on the roof of her mouth and are sending her her for a CT scan. Not entirely sure what this will tell us, but they seemed to think this was the easiest way to get a proper look without anaesthetic.
Bungee had 3 vets look in her mouth, and they all said they had never seen this before in bunnies.
I am so angry that this wasn't picked up with our usual vets. She only went there last Monday and I'm beginning to think that they probably didn't even look in her mouth.
She was so good, and came straight home and ate her tea. I have noticed over the last few days that she isn't really eating much hay. I imagine it is uncomfortable, but she doesn't seem to have a problem with her veggies and pellets. I've left her a hay cookie to nibble today, which might be easier than long stems of hay.
I'm worried that if this lump grows it might choke her.
So scared for her.

Oh gosh, what a worrying time for you and Bungee :(

Hopefully the CT scan will give you some answers. My girl Illy had a CT in 2020 when she was 10 and they only needed a very mild sedation to get the images they needed. It'll also give you indications of things like arthritis and her heart, so it's a useful scan to have, though pricey.

I'm glad you've got a better vet looking after her now. You can also ask RVC Beaumont Sainsbury for a second opinion/consult on the CT scans etc if you need it.

Have you tried adding some warm water to her pellets? I know she's not having issues with them yet, but my bun Illy seems to really like hers softer, even though she still eats lots of hay. Hay cookies also sounds smart! If you're worried about her fibre intake, you could also top her up with some fibreplex paste on her pellets?

Wishing you both some good luck with the tests x

One rabbit, similar age than yours had a tumor in mouth. They managed with meds and only soft food. Pellets with watter. I would also opt for Selective Fibafirst (30% fiber).

Thank you so much.
We took Bungee for her CT scan on Thursday. She was apparently very good and sat very still, so didn't need to be sedated.
I have just spoken to the vet about the results and he said it's a soft tissue mass, which seems to have his own defined structure, so should be able to be removed, as it doesn't seem to be effecting anything else. It's not something that that Vet practice can do, but he is going to refer us to to another vets, which we have used before and we really liked.
I've just ordered her some Recovery and some Fibreplex - thank you also for the tip about her pellets.
She really isn't eating any hay and her poops are very small which is a worry, so I will start with the recovery and fibreplex as soon as it arrives.
Thank you for all your help, it's so appreciated. :rabbit2:

So our vet has said that this isn't the sort of operation they could perform, so now it's a case of finding an experienced exotics vet. If anyone can recommend one we would be very grateful.
Also, any tips for keeping Bungee chin and skin dry please? 🙏
Many thanks x

Back