Thread: Foot callus or hock?

Default Foot callus or hock?

While Cookie was in Turkey, he had a callus on his foot. Now I noticed that here too, there is a crusty pink with a white top. I wonder if it recurred or did it never get better? Do you think this is callus or hock?

https://imguh.com/image/CBT5i

PS. I will call the vet tomorrow and make an appointment.

A bald hock with a calloused area. Often happens when the Rabbit runs about on carpets. Carpets are abrasive and this can remove the fur from hocks and feet.

‘’All war is a symptom of man’s failure as a thinking animal.”
    ―John Steinbeck.

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    A bald hock with a calloused area. Often happens when the Rabbit runs about on carpets. Carpets are abrasive and this can remove the fur from hocks and feet.

Looks like sore hocks grade 1 right now. I suspect the carpet, too, it may be due to the carpet we just bought, although I bought it for him. Should I put cotton sheets on the carpet?

Quote Originally Posted by KCG View Post
    Looks like sore hocks grade 1 right now. I suspect the carpet, too, it may be due to the carpet we just bought, although I bought it for him. Should I put cotton sheets on the carpet?
    Yes, that can help. It is also important to keep his toe nails trimmed short.

https://www.stortvet.com/pododermati...ts-sore-hocks/

‘’All war is a symptom of man’s failure as a thinking animal.”
    ―John Steinbeck.

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    Yes, that can help. It is also important to keep his toe nails trimmed short.

https://www.stortvet.com/pododermati...ts-sore-hocks/
    Thank you so much

Trimmed nails and ideal bunny weight, not overweight in combination with propper bedding helps a lot. We got from Caluses to furry feet.

Quote Originally Posted by AnjaSanja View Post
    Trimmed nails and ideal bunny weight, not overweight in combination with propper bedding helps a lot. We got from Caluses to furry feet.
    Yes, you're right. We had this problem 2 months ago and it got better. Now repeated here, I think it's probably because the new carpet surface is a bit rough. I made an appointment with the vet today, we're going this afternoon. I'm hoping to get some medicine from the vet. Also, I'm going to put sheets on the carpets today.

We just got back from the vet. The vet said there is no need for medication now, she offered us a soft pet bed. She said if it gets worse then they will give medicine. Also Cookie got his first vaccination (maxomitosis and RHVD), Cookie is good now, but at first it was a little offended to me.