• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Arthur, problems urinating

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
I took my poor baby to the vets today as he was all wet underneath and looked very sore /swollen around his genital area.

The vet couldn't get his penis to pop out :cry: It looked so sore down there. He is being sedated and Ruth will be trying to find his manhood during her lunch break. If she can't locate it then he will be scheduled for surgery tomorrow. it just looked all healed over.

Poor, poor bunny. He seemed perfectly fine in himself except peeing on the carpet which I thought was naughtiness/territorial but maybe not.

It's weird ;being able to walk across the room without tripping over him...

Last edited:
Thanks for the good wishes everyone.

Ruth (vet) sedated Arthur and managed to get his penis to daylight and expressed his bladder so that he wouldn't need to pee inside the swollen area (though as his bladder was fairly empty she felt he was managing).

He's had a tidy up of his nether regions and some steroid cream to try and help it calm down. It's a mystery why he's like that but the hope is with treatment it can be improved.

Since speaking to the vet I had had a thought that he spends a lot of his day in a deep under-bed storage box filled with hay, I'm wondering if the hay irritates him. It could be the depth of it makes him sink into it and it's scratchy for him? I hope there's a simple answer.

Last edited:
Arthur came home yesterday with shaved nether regions and a collection of medication.

He has yummy Baytril, Metacam, Frusemide and Betafuse ointment.

His sore "prepuce" is deemed to be a result of bladder sludge making the region sore and then making it very difficult for him to pop out his penis to wee so was believed to be weeing sludge inside and making it all even sorer. So I have the task of opening it up twice a day and applying Betafuse.

I have got to say, he was a really good bunny with all that happening this morning. He did leap off my knee and land in his water bowl but for the most part he managed to stay still. He took his meds like a good un.

Poor baby will have to be closely monitored. He goes back for a vet to check him on Friday and then again on Monday for Ruth to check him over and express his bladder again.

For those who don't know or have forgotten, Arthur is a black mini lop who was named after my soul-bun Artie (black mini lop) ... who had an issue with bladder sludge. Artie also went on to develop kidney stones. I'm hoping the deja vous stops here!!

Last edited:
Aw, poor sore Arthur. I hope all the medication will help him. How good of him to mostly stay still while you were taking care of him this morning, and I'm glad he took his meds like a good bunny. :love: Sending him lots of vibes and hoping he'll feel less sore soon.

I remember arthur :love: I think he is the only bun of yours I've met IRL. Bless his cottons. hope he responds well to treatment, poor wee soldier

Thank you everyone for the good wishes.

So, a bit blown away by today's appointment. His nether regions are a lot less sore. He had an x-ray to check on the progress of his bladder and ... and .. NO calcium! I couldn't even see his bladder on the x-ray compared to it being a white oval last week!! So, he didn't have his bladder expressed as no need to.

He needs to loose about 200g (not much then) and he is to stay on Metacam and Furosemide and to be reviewed again in one month and as that's when his vaccine is due the consult won't even cost (good boy Arthur!).

I remember arthur :love: I think he is the only bun of yours I've met IRL. Bless his cottons. hope he responds well to treatment, poor wee soldier

Oh, I had forgotten you had met him. That's the day you were at his consult. I think there was talk of bladder sludge that day too cause I remember referring to Ruth doing Artie's surgery on Good Friday.

Thanks for the very kind offer of a snug bed for him. It seems this is not an ongoing problem so a soft cushion for his 'bits' no longer seems a high priority. I found a piece of vet bed that he seems to be happy with. So no need for your troubles. We should go for a coffee sometime though .. or pretty soon a forage walk.

That's such good news that he's a lot less sore! And no calcium in his bladder, either! What a good vet visit. :D I'm glad he's doing better. :love: Good luck having him lose a bit a weight. I hope he won't mind. :lol:

That's such good news that he's a lot less sore! And no calcium in his bladder, either! What a good vet visit. :D I'm glad he's doing better. :love: Good luck having him lose a bit a weight. I hope he won't mind. :lol:

Thank you. Yes good and totally unexpected for him to have made such an improvement.

Yup the diet could be interesting. hopefully I will be able to swap pellets for forage very soon.

I am sorry I missed this post earlier, yet and happy to read his treatment plan has resulted in his fabulous improvement. Sending many vibes that Arthur continues to do well. Well done to you both.

Sorry I also missed this, I am glad he is doing well now, fingers crossed the problem doesn’t reoccur!

Back