• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny sick, vet closed

Skulva

New Kit
Hi there I was just hoping to maybe get some information as the vet is closed until Monday and I’m a little bit worry so…

My bun went to the vet this morning because she hadn’t been eating a lot. They did a blood test and it came back okay not great but okay so they gave her a fluid shot and a shot to make her bowels start moving again (she was still going to the bathroom but they were small) and I have bought home critical care. The thing I’m worried about is she now has this excess skin hanging from her chest. Is this from the shots? Just like a natural reaction or is it something worse, she doesn’t look swollen but it kinda hangs when she hops about and it was never there before. So am I over thinking or is it something that needs attention now, the vet is closed until Monday for me to call, they do have emergency but I don’t wanna call if it’s nothing and I’m overreacting, she seems fine still hopping about and eating hay though!

Please help me put my mind at ease.

The fluid bolus is not being absorbed very well and gravity will pull it downwards. Did the Vet prescribe PAIN RELIEF too ? A Rabbit in pain for any reason will not eat. Not eating then causes the GI tract to shut down= Gut Stasis.

What was ‘not great’ about the blood profile ?

Did the Vet check your Rabbit’s teeth ?

Is your Rabbit eating anything now ?

I woud ring the (out of hours) vet and ask for advice. Rabbits can go downhill very quickly. A rabbit that is not eating is an emergency. How much ctitical care is she taking? And what is her poo output like?

The vet may be able to give more meds as a follow up to the first appointment. I'm surprised you were not given any. As Jane says, pain relief can make a big difference and is easy to give at home. You also need to get to the cause of the gut stasis, hence checking teeth (with an otoscope), etc.

I'm slightly confused, as it sounds like the bunny is eating OK. eg. hopping about and eating hay.

What country are you in, Skulva?

The fluid bolus is not being absorbed very well and gravity will pull it downwards. Did the Vet prescribe PAIN RELIEF too ? A Rabbit in pain for any reason will not eat. Not eating then causes the GI tract to shut down= Gut Stasis.

What was ‘not great’ about the blood profile ?

Did the Vet check your Rabbit’s teeth ?

Is your Rabbit eating anything now ?

She just gave me critical care that’s it.

The blood test said that she was lacking in glucose but other than that everything was fine that’s why the vet gave her the shot.

Teeth were checked, she said that she has spurs on her right side but they aren’t going towards her tongue. But I’m definitely ringing up on Monday to see more detail about that.

She is actually eating fine now and drinking so I was just concerned with the bit of skin hanging just because she wasn’t like that before.

I'm slightly confused, as it sounds like the bunny is eating OK. eg. hopping about and eating hay.

What country are you in, Skulva?

Her eating is fine now after the vet visit she just wasn’t eating as much as she was before. I was just concerned with the bit of skin hanging that she didn’t have before. I’m in Australia but this is the only bunny forum I could find online.

She just gave me critical care that’s it.

The blood test said that she was lacking in glucose but other than that everything was fine that’s why the vet gave her the shot.

Teeth were checked, she said that she has spurs on her right side but they aren’t going towards her tongue. But I’m definitely ringing up on Monday to see more detail about that.

She is actually eating fine now and drinking so I was just concerned with the bit of skin hanging just because she wasn’t like that before.

It will almost certainly be the bolus of fluid. It should gradually disperse.

I woud ring the (out of hours) vet and ask for advice. Rabbits can go downhill very quickly. A rabbit that is not eating is an emergency. How much ctitical care is she taking? And what is her poo output like?

The vet may be able to give more meds as a follow up to the first appointment. I'm surprised you were not given any. As Jane says, pain relief can make a big difference and is easy to give at home. You also need to get to the cause of the gut stasis, hence checking teeth (with an otoscope), etc.

They only have emergency vets that you have to go into in Australia from what I have found. She is eating a lot better now and drinking. She is taking 100grams every 4 hours. Her poo has gone back to normal now as well. It’s really strange that the vet actually didn’t come right out and say it was gut stasis as well, sorry it’s hard as my mum was the one to take her as I couldn’t get out of work.

Sorry first time bunny owner too so I freaked out a little when I saw that was happening to her and of course it had to fall on a weekend when normal vets aren’t open. Thank you so much, I’m definitely ringing up on Monday for a follow up and hopefully after a bit more critical care she’ll feel a bit better but she seems like she’s going back to her normal self after the shots and food

aww it sounds like she is on the mend due to your swift action in getting her to the vets. I'd be reassured by Inspector Morses comment - there is no-one on here more experienced in rabbit health

Normal poo output is a good sign, and that she's eating for herself again. You have done a good job in supporting her.
I would monitor her weight weekly, and get the tooth spurs looked at again in, say, a month. They may need burring down. Getting her to eat more hay or grass will help to keep the teeth worn down (although there may be misalignment which means it isn't a full solution) and will keep her guts healthy.

Thank you so much, she’s definitely eating normal again after I checked on her this morning and will definitely monitor for all that from now on

You did a great job noting her illness and getting her prompt vet and home care.
Bunnies are prey animals so they hide their pain. This makes important early diagnosis difficult. It is also why pain relief is important.
You are fortunate to have a supportive mom to take your bunny to the vet.

This forum has wonderful people from all over the world as members and I appreciate how those in uk and others helped me.

I hope you will continue to visit the forum and share your stories and pictures.

Back