• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flea treatment

KCG

Warren Veteran
First of all, this issue is not for me. For the first time in Turkey, someone who is keeping a rabbit heard about benk and contacted me. She said that she found fleas on the rabbit, which is 2 months old and above, 2 times. I said that it was an external parasite problem and that she had to go to the vet immediately and suggested a vet. You know, Turkey is a failed country when it comes to rabbits. But how is the flea treatment in rabbits, what can I suggest to her?

Update: went to the vet and made parasite injections and drops, for internal and external parasites. They didn't say anything else. Do you think more treatment is needed? Is that enough?

Last edited:
What is the name of the drug given. In the U.K. treatment is usually Imidacloprid applied as a spot on topical treatment. https://www.viovet.co.uk/Advantage-...lDURvwbxtsUIL60MKgi8nl0pO_8qIsjRoCG0gQAvD_BwE

She says she doesn't know. Veterinarians in Turkey generally do not give such information. Also, I'm not sure that she gave the right medicine and dose, I warned her about the vet, I told her to go to the vet that I said, but she said she could not go, now she says that she regrets that the vet does not know what she is doing. In short, the vet has made drops and injections of internal and external parasites (that's it I was skeptical about needles because I know rabbits are always parasitized by drops). Do you need continuous meds treatment for a while more than that? What do you suggest to do?

Last edited:
She says she doesn't know. Veterinarians in Turkey generally do not give such information. Also, I'm not sure that she gave the right medicine and dose, I warned her about the vet, I told her to go to the vet that I said, but she said she could not go, now she says that she regrets that the vet does not know what she is doing. In short, the vet has made drops and injections of internal and external parasites (that's it I was skeptical about needles because I know rabbits are always parasitized by drops). Do you need continuous meds treatment for a while more than that? What do you suggest to do?

Impossible to comment without knowing what has been prescribed. As a rule Rabbits do not require routine worming for intestinal GI tract parasites in the same was as dogs do. And flea treatment is only necessary if there is actual evidence of fleas. The environment needs to be treated for fleas too, as do any other Pets in the household.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/disease/skin-and-fur-parasites/

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/fleas/Fleas.htm

Impossible to comment without knowing what has been prescribed. As a rule Rabbits do not require routine worming for intestinal GI tract parasites in the same was as dogs do. And flea treatment is only necessary if there is actual evidence of fleas. The environment needs to be treated for fleas too, as do any other Pets in the household.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/disease/skin-and-fur-parasites/

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/fleas/Fleas.htm

Thank you so much. Now I will have to translate these articles for her. Since she does not speak English, she cannot join the forum and cannot read English links. I will tell the veterinarian to ask for a written document of the actions taken now and go to the vet I suggested with that document.

I spoke now, she said her bunny is a little more sleepy. Did the rabbit get hurt?

I spoke now, she said her bunny is a little more sleepy. Did the rabbit get hurt?

I'd be advising her to call the vet back (if phone lines are open - wonder what time it is?) and ask what products were used. The rabbit shouldn't have been hurt by having an injection/spot on but I'd want to make sure a rabbit safe product was used. Best of luck

I'd be advising her to call the vet back (if phone lines are open - wonder what time it is?) and ask what products were used. The rabbit shouldn't have been hurt by having an injection/spot on but I'd want to make sure a rabbit safe product was used. Best of luck

Ah I've been stressed too. I told her not to take her to any other vet other than the one I suggested, I warned her a thousand times, she didn't listen. Now it makes me sad too

Back