• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded rabbits

Buka

Warren Scout
Do you always take your bunnies together to see the vet even if only one needs attention? If so, do vets understand why and are they ok with that?

Thank you

Do you always take your bunnies together to see the vet even if only one needs attention? If so, do vets understand why and are they ok with that?

Thank you
Yep always, and yea vets completely understand. It's not even questioned in my experience!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I don't take Chibbs with anybun else, but only because Chibbs takes her frustration out on the other. I always took Lopsy and Aboleth together and it was never questioned, except sometimes 'which one are we seeing today?', that sort of thing :)

Yes always, we've only once had to separate them and that was at the vets because Blossom kept chewing through Rodney's IV line. But even then they kept her in the kennel opposite and put them back together once his IV wasn't needed.

When returned to me they made sure to tell me how badly behaved he was without her whereas usually he's a very good boy at the vets.

These days with car park drop off I put a note on the carrier of which ones which if its not our usual vet. Occasionally a nurse asks which one is having treatment but if anything I've always had good comments about it.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

It depends on the individual rabbit for me. The general advice is yes as bonded rabbits can offer eachother support and comfort during a likely stressful trip, and they may fight depending on how long they've been separated if one is left behind as the other will return smelling different/feeling different if been in for an operation etc.

However, I never took my previous rabbit Jasmine along with Jake if she wasn't having any treatment as she was very stressy and ended up in stasis sometimes after a trip. Jake can also turn a bit nippy in the carrier so is on no support for her. Now Jake is bonded with Fern and their vaccination is due at the same time so I will see how they are together then. Jake is very confident so not worried about him being stressed by a vet trip.

In my opinion if the vet thinks it's strange to bring a bonded partner I don't think they're very rabbit savvy, as if they are they should know the general advice is bonded pairs stay together. :)

Back