Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: another Insurance thread

Default another Insurance thread

Am I right in thinking you can only insure rabbit up to 5 years (except when Agria does its age amnesty in Oct?)

If a bunny had a minor health issue (eg molar spur) that had been noted by a vet but not deemed to need treatment as yet, would that condition by excluded from insurance if she later needed a dental?

Any company better than another? Does insurance cover consults & drugs? Is there usually an excess? Is this a percentage?

Taking Boo as an example. She is an E.C.rabbit who is deaf & blind. Presumably almost anything that could happen to Boo could be attributable to her disabilities or EC - is this the case? Say if Boo broke her leg would they attribute that to being blind.

I've never insured a bunny before so sorry for all the questions.

Treacle was insured with Petplan, right up to when I lost her at 8. Do you mean a new policy for 5 years plus ? in that case I'm not sure. In all that time I never claimed a penny, as she only ever had treatment for dentals. Georgie cat is also insured with them, and they've always paid out for him with no quibbles.
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Quote Originally Posted by Pets mum View Post
    Treacle was insured with Petplan, right up to when I lost her at 8. Do you mean a new policy for 5 years plus ? in that case I'm not sure. In all that time I never claimed a penny, as she only ever had treatment for dentals. Georgie cat is also insured with them, and they've always paid out for him with no quibbles.
    Yes! Sorry, should have been clearer. Thanks PM. How come you didn't claim for dentals - were they excluded?

They wouldn't say a broken leg is related to being blind, it's more like if she had an injury to her front left leg say the exclusion would go down as 'limbs'. The tooth one you could possibly get around depending on the vets wording, or they may need to write a letter to the insurance to state in their opinion it's not related. Insurance would cover consult and drugs providing not pre existing, there is always an excess which is payable per condition per year, percentage is normally added as the rabbit becomes a senior.

I had bigwig with petplan but decided to do Agria for fern and having to claim for her tear duct so far so good. Jake is also insured with them now on their age amnesty, I think you would struggle to find a company take on one over 5 otherwise

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

I moved Lilac's provider when she was 5, she's now with 4paws, I can't remember who she was with before. She's now 7. I've found with every rabbit insurer I've tried dentals are excluded but generally never had an issue with them paying out for anything else.

Wise Old Thumper

If you did find a company to insure Boo, how much would the likely monthly charge be? It might be worth just putting that amount away each month. I accept that it wouldn't cover a large bill, but then hopefully a large bill would be unlikely. Impossible to predict obviously, but consider how much Joey and Mouse cost you in vet fees for the last few years and compare that to how much you could have paid in insurance costs.

You can tell I'm not a fan of insurance

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    Yes! Sorry, should have been clearer. Thanks PM. How come you didn't claim for dentals - were they excluded?
    Yep they were excluded

Petplan paid for Bigwigs dental, as it was treatment for her illness (eating less, she just had it done alongside her X ray for her lungs) but can be tricky knowing if dentals are covered

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    If you did find a company to insure Boo, how much would the likely monthly charge be? It might be worth just putting that amount away each month. I accept that it wouldn't cover a large bill, but then hopefully a large bill would be unlikely. Impossible to predict obviously, but consider how much Joey and Mouse cost you in vet fees for the last few years and compare that to how much you could have paid in insurance costs.

You can tell I'm not a fan of insurance
    This is what we do, although Willoughby has cost me getting a concrete sink now! So it does sometimes backfire haha

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Thanks Petsmum, Liz & Orenoko - this is what I'm looking for.

Omi its not for Boo, I was just using her medical quirks as an example. I've no rainy day fund for anything & it'd take years to build anything up on my hours & wages so if Boo gets a friend they'll be insured (him not her). Need to cost everything up properly for once