Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smudge

Default Smudge

I havenít posted in this section in such a while. But we have made the difficult decision to say goodbye to Smudge He is 13 and a half years old and weíve had him for 13 of those years. I have booked the apt for Wednesday evening next week.

He has been weak on one back leg due to arthritis in his knee and has been on metacam for nearly a year but was managing. The last couple of weeks though he suddenly got a real wobble on. Kept falling over and unable to get up without help, and his head was tilted a little to the left. Iíve had an EC headtilt bunny before but the vets thought it very unlikely it was suddenly EC at his age especially with him being indoors so they tried him on antibiotics to see if it was an ear infection that could be cleared up. They said if the antibiotics made no difference to him then it was more likely to be something in his brain (they cited the example of a tumour). The antibiotics have not worked sadly. Iíve been conflicted because he is still eating and drinking enthusiastically, and he still has a lot of feist in him (he hated the baytril with a passion!) but he canít move very far now and spends his time mostly on his side somewhere in reach of his hay and water which is no life at all really. I feel so bad, and H will be heartbroken, as will we. But he will be reunited at last with his Sora who also got to 13 before she was PTS in 2020.
    Sorry for any typos!

I'm so very sorry to hear this, but 13 what a wonderful age. Putting his qualitg of life before your own sadness, is a testament of your love and care. I will be thinking of him and you next week xx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

I’m so sorry that you are having to say goodbye to Smudge I hope that the fact that he has had a long and happy life with you will help you come to terms with his loss thinking of you and sending hugs xx

Wise Old Thumper

Sending lots of hugs. For them both to get to thirteen years old is wonderful, but I can understand how heartbreaking it will be for you all

Wise Old Thumper InspectorMorse's Avatar

I am sorry

Dignity in Dying should be a Human Right
    https://www.dignityindying.org.uk/

I used to be ĎJackís-Janeí but I have been logged out of that account and I canít get back in !

Massive hugs xxx
    The geeky one... Pronouns: she/her/any.

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

After Smudge being in your lives for so long, you must be heartbroken to have to say goodbye. May your many memories of healthier, happier times help you through this difficult time.

I'm so sorry - 13 is such an amazing age to get to!

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Oh what a life - thirteen & a half years is awesome. I'm sorry its time to say goodbye though, I had to make the decision to put my not as elderly but similar symptoms Mousey to sleep a week ago. As with Joey only 6 weeks before she had a brilliant appetite - I did struggle more with my decisions for that reason. On reflection for both bunnies I'm glad I let them go before they were in so much pain they wouldn't eat - it was a comfort that their last days I could spoil them with lots & lots of herbs & favourite foods.
    I hope little H copes ok. There are some nice kids books on bunny bereavement I think

I'm so sorry, how heartbreaking.