• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental situation

Clair071085

Warren Scout
Ok so Iv just spoke to the vet practice to ask about bellas recent dental. I found out she had molar spurs & booked her in for treatment. I phoned to ask how many teeth had spurs. The receptionist spoke quickly to the vet that did it & said that there wasn’t a particular number of teeth done that she filled down all her molars!! I asked why was this done & was told it’s because rabbits teeth grow continuously. Now as far as I’m aware she did not have spurs on all her teeth so why file them all down. Would this not cause them to grow quicker & spurs could come up now. I just don’t get this if there was no bloody spurs on them. This could be routine & im waiting on the vet to phone me back as to why all teeth on top & bottom were done. Is this right or what happens? Thank you for reading xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The crowns of the teeth might have be overly long which can lead to the formation of spurs. Information about Rabbit Dental treatment here

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/Rabbit_dentistry.pdf

This is great info. Had a quick read & will read again. I’m just worried if there was no issues that’s by burring them all it will cause them to grow faster & more likely get spurs that wouldn’t have happened if they hadn’t been touched. I’m getting the radiograph you said about so going to ask them about getting this for a full mouth view of everything xx

From conversations I've had previously when I've had dental buns, the vets don't necessarily just stick to just urging the teeth with spurs, they will even them all out with the aim of evening them out. This is only anecdotal though and I may be wrong but that was my understanding of it.

I don't know anything about this subject, so I can't say anything. I hope she can get treatment from her teeth as soon as possible and regain her health. Send lots of vibrations xxxxxxxx

From conversations I've had previously when I've had dental buns, the vets don't necessarily just stick to just urging the teeth with spurs, they will even them all out with the aim of evening them out. This is only anecdotal though and I may be wrong but that was my understanding of it.

Hi, thank you. Perhaps this is why it was done. Not heard back from vet yet. I just hope it’s procedure & good reason xx

I don't know anything about this subject, so I can't say anything. I hope she can get treatment from her teeth as soon as possible and regain her health. Send lots of vibrations xxxxxxxx

Hi, thank you. She has to get regular dentals they said for the spurs. Hopefully hear back from vets soon xx

Hi there. My two cents. Sherlock the young bun was neutered at around 7 -8 months at the same tem burred spurs and then again after 4 months. And so far there was no need to re-doo. They leveled them up the last time and so far his hay is doing the work. Plus I'm guessing he does not have that bad bite.

Once they level the teeth they gave you and the bun more chance of prolonging the time for another dental and in case of very young bun-perhaps no more need at all. I would suggest for you to be very strict with diet. Only one table spon for 1kg bunny. And the rest is hay and no more then size of heay leafy veggies. I only give treats or pieco of fruit after cliping nails. After seing all the trouble Brko has with his teeth.

Hi there. My two cents. Sherlock the young bun was neutered at around 7 -8 months at the same tem burred spurs and then again after 4 months. And so far there was no need to re-doo. They leveled them up the last time and so far his hay is doing the work. Plus I'm guessing he does not have that bad bite.

Once they level the teeth they gave you and the bun more chance of prolonging the time for another dental and in case of very young bun-perhaps no more need at all. I would suggest for you to be very strict with diet. Only one table spon for 1kg bunny. And the rest is hay and no more then size of heay leafy veggies. I only give treats or pieco of fruit after cliping nails. After seing all the trouble Brko has with his teeth.

Hi, thank you. That makes sense & good to know. She wasn’t getting any pellets before & only hay as had to cut other stuff out for the cecotropes issue. She’s on metacalm now for suspected arthritis xx

Back