• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nail Quick

Took the buns to the local vet nurse for a weight in and nail trim as hubby isn't able to help me with them at the moment.

The nurse managed to hit Rodney's quick and it bled terribly, it didn't stop with pressure and it the end she had me hold the pressure on while she went and got a silver nitrate pen to help.

It took a few applications but did stop. Do I need to worry about it restarting?

I'm assuming it was worse because he was stressed and now we're home he is being his usual self but it terrified me and I felt awful for taking them to the close vet instead of our usual exotics as I thought I'd spare them the long car trip [emoji53]

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Hugs, that must have been horrible for you both. I've heard when rabbits bleed they bleed a LOT. I think if its remained stable since last night it will be fine. Did it happen mid pedicure or was it finished?

It should be Ok. These things happen, especially if the nails are a dark colour. Rabbit quicks can be longer than expected, so it's easily done - and there is a lot of blood. After a few days there should be enough healing and a bit of nail growth to protect the damaged area.

It was the last foot thankfully so he just had to endure a weighing once it had all stopped.

It was this morning and he seems in fine spirits now running about etc and I'm the one still traumatised lol.

I'd forgotten how bright their blood is and was so worried when it didn't stop initially. He was pretty good about being held for so long and even gave the nurse some nudges before he went back in the carrier.

Blossom was afterwards and pooped everywhere so the room looked like a bunny tornado had ripped through it when we left.

Aboleth was fine after hers, a bit traumatised and it did bleed a bit more once home but she wasn't sore or anything :) Her dark nails were a PITA.

You did what you thought was best. These things happen and they do bleed more than you expect. I did it myself and once it stopped bleeding it was fine. I felt bad,yet soon was forgiven.

Last edited:
Aghrh. That is the reason we clim nails at home. There is two of us. One holds the bunny the other clips nail. I use pen flashlight Or you can use that keychain with light to find the quick-no accident ever again. We just have pedicure tonight. If we only had the third person to film :D

Aghrh. That is the reason we clim nails at home. There is two of us. One holds the bunny the other clips nail. I use pen flashlight Or you can use that keychain with light to find the quick-no accident ever again. We just have pedicure tonight. If we only had the third person to film :D
Yeah usually we would do that but hubby is unwell at the moment and would get very upset fighting to hold the buns and getting them into their burritos.

As it is he got very upset and anxious when I brought them home and he hadn't been there for the experience.

Back