• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mice (pest) and rabbits

Zigzag

Alpha Buck
Hello
We’ve discovered a mouse in the flat :(, and droppings.

I must say I’m not a fan of mice, like these!

What should I do about the rabbits? I assume mice like to nest in the hay, and may eat the droppings. I read this somewhere!

Had anyone had this issue? We’ll obv try to sort the mouse issue.

Thanks x

OMG this is terrible. I have no experience or knowledge on this subject. But as far as I know mouses like to show up during quiet times, usually they can appear at night when people are sleeping or in the morning when everyone is asleep and the house is quiet. That's why I recommend keeping the doors of rooms with rabbits closed, especially before going to sleep. Where did you find the mouse droppings, in the bathroom?

Last edited:
Hello
We’ve discovered a mouse in the flat :(, and droppings.

I must say I’m not a fan of mice, like these!

What should I do about the rabbits? I assume mice like to nest in the hay, and may eat the droppings. I read this somewhere!

Had anyone had this issue? We’ll obv try to sort the mouse issue.

Thanks x

We had this issue several years ago, turns out they were nesting in the back of our oven, it was a nightmare!!
We knew when they were out because the rabbits would thump!

I'd suggest, if you haven't already, moving hay that's not in your rabbit enclosure onto a high surface, keeping any pellets/forage in a sealed high up tub. If you can, try and work out where the mice are getting in. Ours were getting in through a tiny hole in the wall, once that was blocked up, it was much easier to control. They tend to keep to edges of rooms, so if you follow the droppings you might be able to track them down. Not sure if that is any help but I do sympathise!

Nesting! The very word makes me feel a bit sick, when I think about mice nesting.

Thank you both for your tips. We’ll ensure the doors are closed. I’ve made sure pellets and forage are hidden. I am glad I’m not alone! However the bunnies are on the same floor as the kitchen.

A mouse man came in and identified a number of holes today. Joy!

Are the mice likely to get onto the litter tray? Thanks again

You need to keep any food source in a sealed container - that's your food any pet food. Anything left accessible (on worktops, in the bin, in the sink, in packets, etc) is going to attract mice. They also look for bedding and water, but food is the main thing. Also look for where they are getting in and block the holes. Mice can get in very small holes - basically if you can get a finger through, mice can get through.

If your flat is affected, it's probable that others are also affected. Everyone needs to be aware and work towards getting rid of them. If someone else is leaving food accessible, it's going to make it much harder.

Live traps are worth looking at, placed along the route the mice take (ie where the droppings are).

I'd take this very seriously! Snap traps imo are the only way, there'll be loads of mice, there's never a few.. If they do go in the humane traps (very unlikely) and you release them, they'll either die anyway or return. So yea I'd seal all food, yours and bunny in thick plastic containers in your cupboards. Get traps, then take note of all the places they're getting in and block them up. Mice can get under a closed internal door. So I wouldn't worry about doors much.. You need to get rid of them ASAP [emoji51] I found chocolate and peanut butter were good baits if that helps!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Back