Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bunny sick, vet closed

Default Bunny sick, vet closed

Hi there I was just hoping to maybe get some information as the vet is closed until Monday and Iím a little bit worry soÖ

My bun went to the vet this morning because she hadnít been eating a lot. They did a blood test and it came back okay not great but okay so they gave her a fluid shot and a shot to make her bowels start moving again (she was still going to the bathroom but they were small) and I have bought home critical care. The thing Iím worried about is she now has this excess skin hanging from her chest. Is this from the shots? Just like a natural reaction or is it something worse, she doesnít look swollen but it kinda hangs when she hops about and it was never there before. So am I over thinking or is it something that needs attention now, the vet is closed until Monday for me to call, they do have emergency but I donít wanna call if itís nothing and Iím overreacting, she seems fine still hopping about and eating hay though!

Please help me put my mind at ease.

The fluid bolus is not being absorbed very well and gravity will pull it downwards. Did the Vet prescribe PAIN RELIEF too ? A Rabbit in pain for any reason will not eat. Not eating then causes the GI tract to shut down= Gut Stasis.

What was Ďnot greatí about the blood profile ?

Did the Vet check your Rabbitís teeth ?

Is your Rabbit eating anything now ?

I used to be ĎJackís-Janeí but I have been logged out of that account and I canít get back in !

Warren Veteran

I woud ring the (out of hours) vet and ask for advice. Rabbits can go downhill very quickly. A rabbit that is not eating is an emergency. How much ctitical care is she taking? And what is her poo output like?

The vet may be able to give more meds as a follow up to the first appointment. I'm surprised you were not given any. As Jane says, pain relief can make a big difference and is easy to give at home. You also need to get to the cause of the gut stasis, hence checking teeth (with an otoscope), etc.

I'm slightly confused, as it sounds like the bunny is eating OK. eg. hopping about and eating hay.

What country are you in, Skulva?
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover bunnies xxx
    Bramble, Hazel and Molly guinea pigs

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    The fluid bolus is not being absorbed very well and gravity will pull it downwards. Did the Vet prescribe PAIN RELIEF too ? A Rabbit in pain for any reason will not eat. Not eating then causes the GI tract to shut down= Gut Stasis.

What was Ďnot greatí about the blood profile ?

Did the Vet check your Rabbitís teeth ?

Is your Rabbit eating anything now ?

She just gave me critical care thatís it.

The blood test said that she was lacking in glucose but other than that everything was fine thatís why the vet gave her the shot.

Teeth were checked, she said that she has spurs on her right side but they arenít going towards her tongue. But Iím definitely ringing up on Monday to see more detail about that.

She is actually eating fine now and drinking so I was just concerned with the bit of skin hanging just because she wasnít like that before.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahP View Post
    I'm slightly confused, as it sounds like the bunny is eating OK. eg. hopping about and eating hay.

What country are you in, Skulva?
    Her eating is fine now after the vet visit she just wasnít eating as much as she was before. I was just concerned with the bit of skin hanging that she didnít have before. Iím in Australia but this is the only bunny forum I could find online.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulva View Post
    She just gave me critical care that’s it.

The blood test said that she was lacking in glucose but other than that everything was fine that’s why the vet gave her the shot.

Teeth were checked, she said that she has spurs on her right side but they aren’t going towards her tongue. But I’m definitely ringing up on Monday to see more detail about that.

She is actually eating fine now and drinking so I was just concerned with the bit of skin hanging just because she wasn’t like that before.
    It will almost certainly be the bolus of fluid. It should gradually disperse.

I used to be ĎJackís-Janeí but I have been logged out of that account and I canít get back in !

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    I woud ring the (out of hours) vet and ask for advice. Rabbits can go downhill very quickly. A rabbit that is not eating is an emergency. How much ctitical care is she taking? And what is her poo output like?

The vet may be able to give more meds as a follow up to the first appointment. I'm surprised you were not given any. As Jane says, pain relief can make a big difference and is easy to give at home. You also need to get to the cause of the gut stasis, hence checking teeth (with an otoscope), etc.
    They only have emergency vets that you have to go into in Australia from what I have found. She is eating a lot better now and drinking. She is taking 100grams every 4 hours. Her poo has gone back to normal now as well. Itís really strange that the vet actually didnít come right out and say it was gut stasis as well, sorry itís hard as my mum was the one to take her as I couldnít get out of work.

Sorry first time bunny owner too so I freaked out a little when I saw that was happening to her and of course it had to fall on a weekend when normal vets arenít open. Thank you so much, Iím definitely ringing up on Monday for a follow up and hopefully after a bit more critical care sheíll feel a bit better but she seems like sheís going back to her normal self after the shots and food

aww it sounds like she is on the mend due to your swift action in getting her to the vets. I'd be reassured by Inspector Morses comment - there is no-one on here more experienced in rabbit health