• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! My bunny ate loads of cake icing!

lucyb2797

New Kit
Hi everyone,

I feel awful, I was away all day and came back to find a piece of cake that my dad must've accidentally knocked onto the floor as he left the house, with all of the icing eaten off it (the icing is decorative fondant style, it was a vegan cake so no dairy or anything, if that makes any difference). It was a corner piece with icing about 5cmx5cm and 2cm thick so I'm talking a lot of icing for a small 1.9kg bunny.

Nuri must've eaten the icing between 6 - 6.30 pm. 3 hours later the little fella seems fine and positively pleased with himself at the moment and is bright, active, eating hay etc. I've given him fibreplex and I was wondering if there's anything else I can do?

I know I should go to the emergency vet but obviously it's Sunday so highest fees and my other bunny Layla has just had to be hospitalised and have a lot of stuff done on friday for a inner ear infection and dental stuff and is currently needing extensive care, so because of all her expenses I actually can't afford another emergency vet visit I such short succession.

Of course if necessary I'll borrow money or do whatever needs doing to get him to the vet, but I'm wondering if there's any way he won't need to go, if I can monitor him and see how he is? I have emiprid on hand for Layla because her infection caused stasis, and plenty of critical care etc if that would be useful for him.

Any advice or even anecdotal stories would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Lucy

Last edited:
I think that will be a large amount of sugar for a rabbit and I would be concerned. Could you telephone the OOH vet, explain what has happened and ask for advice?

Personally, I wouldn't panic but would keep an eye on him. Plenty of hay for fibre to keep his guts moving, access to water and watch the poo for changes, and any behavioural changes. It's a lot of sugar, so may have some side effects (I'm guessing a bit hyperactive) - but should pass fairly quickly. I'm assuming he's normally fit & healthy with no other issues (apart from a sweet tooth :lol:). You can always ring a vet for advice over the phone.

Some people say lots of sugar / carbs is not good for the bacterial balance the bunny needs in the cecum for proper digestion. Signs to watch for are gas, bloat,gi stasis ,pain. diahrea. I suggest calling vet for advice..

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just look out for any changes in their poop or behavior. Feeding them a lot of fiber would likely help mitigate any potential problem.

Too late for me to offer urgent advice but for future reference,I would concur with the suggestion of ringing the vet for advice.

I once had a rabbit chew a tube of Isathalmic (eye drops). I rang the vet for advice. Bunny didn't need taking in and I was reassured.

I would also agree with the advice about too much sugar having a bad impact on gut flora so be vigilant for a good few days - the Fibreplex seems like a good plan.

Well I hope everything went fine. Keep him only on hay and leafy veggies and water for the next week or two.

How is Nuri doing today?

Over the years my rabbits have eaten all sorts, including the year when two got in to the Christmas cake and ate ALL the marzipan and icing off the outside. These things happen! Definitely worth keeping a close eye and sticking to hay only for a few days as repercussions aren't always immediate.
For future reference you can always ring a vet for free advice over the phone, I'd also see about getting some gut stimulant in the house for emergencies. It lasts quite a long time, is fairly low cost and is a really handy thing to have.

Thanks everyone for the advice! Nuri is absolutly fine still, and I'm beginning to wonder if maybe the icing had come off the cake prior to me taking it home (it was a slice of wedding cake pre-wrapped in a napkin so I never saw if this particular piece still had icing on, only assumed so based on the other piece I had). Seeing as the icing was navy blue I'm thinking if he really had eaten it there would be staining around his mouth and by this point his poos would be a different colour, so it might be that I panicked over nothing 😅
I'm going to continue to monitor him of course, but I'm no longer feeling sick to my stomach with worry.

Some people say lots of sugar / carbs is not good for the bacterial balance the bunny needs in the cecum for proper digestion. Signs to watch for are gas, bloat,gi stasis ,pain. diahrea. I suggest calling vet for advice..
https://seriale.best/

Unfortunately, I agree. I feel sorry for the bunnies who struggle with pain. A vet is compulsory.

Last edited:
Back