• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

-Need help- Oat hay and herbs

KCG

Warren Veteran
When Cookie was in Turkey, he was fed meadow grass hay and oat hay. Also, he was always fed with Mediterranean vegetables. Also, the pellets in Turkey are very different from here, I doubt that the pellets in Turkey are even pellets.

We have been making dietary changes since we came to the Netherlands. The vegetables he eats here are different, he knows many new vegetables. We are also in the process of transitioning to timothy hay and getting used to their new pellets. I do all of this very slowly, in a balanced and measured way. We are in the 2nd week of diet change and this week he has started to adapt, his digestion and poop are normal.

Now there is a problem, Cookie eats both meadow grass hay, timothy hay and oat hay. I have enough oat hay left for 1 week. I can't find oat hay here right now, urgent help is needed. :(

Also a reader of books suggested me good herbs. I want to add them to Cookie's diet in the coming weeks. Normally I give Cookie 3 handfuls of oat hay a day. I wonder if I should start giving these herbs instead of oat hay and gradually stop giving oat hay? Because Cookie's diet is starting to get so full and complicated, I want it to be a little simpler. Do you think I should continue to give oat hay, that is, 3 types of hay, or should I switch to herbs instead of oat hay? Or should I go on this full and complex diet by adding 3 types of hay and herbs?

These are the herbs that a reader of books recommended to me and I definitely want to add them to my diet
https://www.dieza.nl/knaagdier/kruiden

But I urgently need oat hay to use in the transition process. Can you find me links where I can buy oat hay urgently?

Some bunnies need a variety of hay to tempt them to eat the hay. Other bunnies are good hay eaters, so I just give the hay type they like best. I have had bunnies live very long lives eating timothy as their only hay. My current bunnies get a blend of Timothy and Orchard Grass for a variety of texture.

Some bunnies need a variety of hay to tempt them to eat the hay. Other bunnies are good hay eaters, so I just give the hay type they like best. I have had bunnies live very long lives eating timothy as their only hay. My current bunnies get a blend of Timothy and Orchard Grass for a variety of texture.

If he eats lots of Timothy Hay and Meadow Hay he does not need Oat Hay, it’s not essential.

Cookie now eats all the hay I gave him. Frankly, Cookie eats everything except rozmarin. My opinion is to replace oat hay with herbs. But there is a process of getting used to it, I cannot make sudden changes. So how much do you think I should give from these herbs to Cookie daily? because we've never had these before, there are herbs like flowers and strawberry leaves etc., it's the first time I've seen these, how many of these can he eat per day?

Cookie now eats all the hay I gave him. Frankly, Cookie eats everything except rozmarin. My opinion is to replace oat hay with herbs. But there is a process of getting used to it, I cannot make sudden changes. So how much do you think I should give from these herbs to Cookie daily? because we've never had these before, there are herbs like flowers and strawberry leaves etc., it's the first time I've seen these, how many of these can he eat per day?

Just as small handful of one type of herb at a time. Don’t introduce lots of different types all at once.

Quantity wise I would replace Oat hay with the same amount of his normal hay. There are very small differences between the various hay species in terms of nutritional values. Remember that the main reasons that you are feeding hay at about 90% of his total daily diet are health benefits i.e. teeth and digestion. It also is good for bunnies to constantly graze on hay most of the day as it stops them becoming bored without making them obese from a lot of food, as it is low calorie.

Quantity wise I would replace Oat hay with the same amount of his normal hay. There are very small differences between the various hay species in terms of nutritional values. Remember that the main reasons that you are feeding hay at about 90% of his total daily diet are health benefits i.e. teeth and digestion. It also is good for bunnies to constantly graze on hay most of the day as it stops them becoming bored without making them obese from a lot of food, as it is low calorie.

I agree with this. If you are going to swap anything out, take out some pellets and replace with herbs. Never cut down on the total hay input.

I agree with this. If you are going to swap anything out, take out some pellets and replace with herbs. Never cut down on the total hay input.

So now there's something like this. When I was in Turkey, the things I could give to Cookie were very limited. Normally he has unlimited access to the other 2 hays now. But when I was in Turkey, I used to give oat hay to Cookie as a daily reward, and it also lingered. So it was actually a bit like a reward system. That's why I'm undecided. :roll:

So, do you think I should continue with oat hay? If that's your suggestion, I'll consider continuing, because he loves oat hay. It's like I don't want to take something he loves so much from him.

Last edited:
So now there's something like this. When I was in Turkey, the things I could give to Cookie were very limited. Normally he has unlimited access to the other 2 hays now. But when I was in Turkey, I used to give oat hay to Cookie as a daily reward, and it also lingered. So it was actually a bit like a reward system. That's why I'm undecided. :roll:

So, do you think I should continue with oat hay? If that's your suggestion, I'll consider continuing, because he loves oat hay. It's like I don't want to take something he loves so much from him.

I don't think it matters whether or not you continue with Oat hay as long as his overall hay content is maintained. If he likes Oat hay and you can find some, then by all means continue. But if at the moment you're finding it difficult to source any Oat hay, then replace it with other hay until you can. I think you'll find that you will be able to obtain some online once you have your bank account sorted.

I don't think it matters whether or not you continue with Oat hay as long as his overall hay content is maintained. If he likes Oat hay and you can find some, then by all means continue. But if at the moment you're finding it difficult to source any Oat hay, then replace it with other hay until you can. I think you'll find that you will be able to obtain some online once you have your bank account sorted.

We finally got our bank account. But I'm having a hard time finding oat hay, it's really hard. If it is in Dutch it will drive me crazy, all websites are in Dutch and no English language. It is very strange that people know so much English but there is no English on their website. :roll: I'm open to options if you can find it for me. :roll:

We finally got our bank account. But I'm having a hard time finding oat hay, it's really hard. If it is in Dutch it will drive me crazy, all websites are in Dutch and no English language. It is very strange that people know so much English but there is no English on their website. :roll: I'm open to options if you can find it for me. :roll:

I don't think that my Dutch would be any better than yours :lol:

I would have expected all websites to be in Dutch. It is their native language, albeit that most Dutch people have a very good command of English. Perhaps you could find an online course to learn Dutch :)

I don't think that my Dutch would be any better than yours :lol:

I would have expected all websites to be in Dutch. It is their native language, albeit that most Dutch people have a very good command of English. Perhaps you could find an online course to learn Dutch :)

Oh I don't know, it will be interesting, but although the rate of knowing English is low in Turkey, most websites have English language options. Although the Dutch speak English perfectly, there is no such thing. :D I am going to start a Dutch course in March, now I feel obligated to do so. He is very comfortable speaking English but websites, official documents coming home, market articles, websites everything is in Dutch. Ugh I don't like learning new languages :| :lol:

Back