Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: -Need help- Oat hay and herbs

Default -Need help- Oat hay and herbs

When Cookie was in Turkey, he was fed meadow grass hay and oat hay. Also, he was always fed with Mediterranean vegetables. Also, the pellets in Turkey are very different from here, I doubt that the pellets in Turkey are even pellets.

We have been making dietary changes since we came to the Netherlands. The vegetables he eats here are different, he knows many new vegetables. We are also in the process of transitioning to timothy hay and getting used to their new pellets. I do all of this very slowly, in a balanced and measured way. We are in the 2nd week of diet change and this week he has started to adapt, his digestion and poop are normal.

Now there is a problem, Cookie eats both meadow grass hay, timothy hay and oat hay. I have enough oat hay left for 1 week. I can't find oat hay here right now, urgent help is needed.

Also a reader of books suggested me good herbs. I want to add them to Cookie's diet in the coming weeks. Normally I give Cookie 3 handfuls of oat hay a day. I wonder if I should start giving these herbs instead of oat hay and gradually stop giving oat hay? Because Cookie's diet is starting to get so full and complicated, I want it to be a little simpler. Do you think I should continue to give oat hay, that is, 3 types of hay, or should I switch to herbs instead of oat hay? Or should I go on this full and complex diet by adding 3 types of hay and herbs?

These are the herbs that a reader of books recommended to me and I definitely want to add them to my diet
    https://www.dieza.nl/knaagdier/kruiden

But I urgently need oat hay to use in the transition process. Can you find me links where I can buy oat hay urgently?

Some bunnies need a variety of hay to tempt them to eat the hay. Other bunnies are good hay eaters, so I just give the hay type they like best. I have had bunnies live very long lives eating timothy as their only hay. My current bunnies get a blend of Timothy and Orchard Grass for a variety of texture.

If he eats lots of Timothy Hay and Meadow Hay he does not need Oat Hay, it’s not essential.

‘’All war is a symptom of man’s failure as a thinking animal.”
    ―John Steinbeck.

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Quote Originally Posted by bunny momma View Post
    Some bunnies need a variety of hay to tempt them to eat the hay. Other bunnies are good hay eaters, so I just give the hay type they like best. I have had bunnies live very long lives eating timothy as their only hay. My current bunnies get a blend of Timothy and Orchard Grass for a variety of texture.
    Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    If he eats lots of Timothy Hay and Meadow Hay he does not need Oat Hay, it’s not essential.
    Cookie now eats all the hay I gave him. Frankly, Cookie eats everything except rozmarin. My opinion is to replace oat hay with herbs. But there is a process of getting used to it, I cannot make sudden changes. So how much do you think I should give from these herbs to Cookie daily? because we've never had these before, there are herbs like flowers and strawberry leaves etc., it's the first time I've seen these, how many of these can he eat per day?

Quote Originally Posted by KCG View Post
    Cookie now eats all the hay I gave him. Frankly, Cookie eats everything except rozmarin. My opinion is to replace oat hay with herbs. But there is a process of getting used to it, I cannot make sudden changes. So how much do you think I should give from these herbs to Cookie daily? because we've never had these before, there are herbs like flowers and strawberry leaves etc., it's the first time I've seen these, how many of these can he eat per day?
    Just as small handful of one type of herb at a time. Don’t introduce lots of different types all at once.

―John Steinbeck.

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Just as small handful of one type of herb at a time. Don’t introduce lots of different types all at once.
    Ok, of course. But after I get used to Cookie, how much herbs should I give in my normal daily routine?

Ok, of course. But after I get used to Cookie, how much herbs should I give in my normal daily routine?
    See under natural diet on here for recommended quantities

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-c...etables-herbs/

―John Steinbeck.

Wise Old Thumper

Quantity wise I would replace Oat hay with the same amount of his normal hay. There are very small differences between the various hay species in terms of nutritional values. Remember that the main reasons that you are feeding hay at about 90% of his total daily diet are health benefits i.e. teeth and digestion. It also is good for bunnies to constantly graze on hay most of the day as it stops them becoming bored without making them obese from a lot of food, as it is low calorie.

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Quantity wise I would replace Oat hay with the same amount of his normal hay. There are very small differences between the various hay species in terms of nutritional values. Remember that the main reasons that you are feeding hay at about 90% of his total daily diet are health benefits i.e. teeth and digestion. It also is good for bunnies to constantly graze on hay most of the day as it stops them becoming bored without making them obese from a lot of food, as it is low calorie.
    I agree with this. If you are going to swap anything out, take out some pellets and replace with herbs. Never cut down on the total hay input.

See under natural diet on here for recommended quantities

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-c...etables-herbs/
    Ok, thank you so much