Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Bunny is licking off silver sulfadiazine cream

  1. #1

    Default Bunny is licking off silver sulfadiazine cream

    Hi bunny lovers, I have a 10 year old rabbit Oslo who in the last 4 months developed a tumor on his heel from a bad sore hock that wasn't treated correctly. He lost some hair on his heel and a sore hock began to develop, I brought him to the vet who suggested olive oil? and different bedding and surfaces from the rug he usually lounged on so I changed all of that, but the sore hock kept growing and getting worse. I would clean it and soak it in epson salts but it still seemed to get worse and worse until it started growing into a tumor- all the while I was taking him to three new vets and nothing seemed to help. It's now been around the same size for a month as he's on oral antiobiotics (orbax 1 ml once a day) but I'm supposed to be covering his wound in silver sulfadiazine cream two times a day as well as administering the oral meds as a topical antiobitic. The problem is every time i put it on, I sit with him for 30-40 minutes and then once he leaves my side he starts going at it, making it bleed again. It can't make a scab because he licks at it so much. This only happens when I use the cream, but my latest vet (who also doesn't recommend surgery because of his age and where the tumor is) tells me I have to use the cream. I feel like my rabbit is walking around with an open wound. The other strange thing is that my rabbit seems to remain quite cheerful throughout the whole process. Still gives me kisses, is active, loves his food and his treats. Is there a way to put something else over the silver sulfadiazine cream so he doesn't want to touch it? If I cover in gauze he just bites it off so I may be looking into baby socks, but I have a feeling he'll just bite and tear at it more in the booties. We will be so very grateful for any suggestions! Thank you.

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    21,611

    Default

    Welcome to RU. Strangely enough I have a 10 year old boy who developed a fast growing lump (my vets think his is a plasmacytoma) on his hind foot. Like you we followed vet advice to not pursue any surgical intervention. Like Oslo, Joey is coping really well so far. I don't really have any advice for you but agree if the cream causes him to over groom the area & cause more injury it seems counterproductive & I can understand your hesitance to use it. My boys tumour looks angry because its so big the fur came off & the skin is really stretched. On occassion he has caused the skin to break but its healed again quite quickly so far. We've also wrapped his foot but the lump makes it awkward & it gets flicked off in seconds.

    So mines more of an empathy post than a helpful one. I hope you stick round as i reckon what might help Joey might help Oslo & vice versa

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    21,611

    Default

    I'll ask the mods to move your post to health where it should get seen more & hopefully get some more replies

  4. #4
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    5,782

    Default

    Jane (Inspector Morse) has a lot of experience with sore hocks - hopefully she will see this.

  5. #5
    Moderator Zoobec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    42,683

    Default

    Hi, I don’t have any experience of this so I can’t advise, but I’m sending lots of vibes.

  6. #6
    Warren Veteran InspectorMorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    9,477

    Default

    If he is only licking the area after applying the Silver Sulfadiazine it might be that he is reacting adversely to it and it stings a lot.

    There are other topical treatments to try. Could you ask the Vet about trying a different topical treatment ?

    Is he on pain relief and is the vet certain the lump is a tumour and not an abscess ?


    ‘’All war is a symptom of man’s failure as a thinking animal.”
    ―John Steinbeck.

    I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    Welcome to RU. Strangely enough I have a 10 year old boy who developed a fast growing lump (my vets think his is a plasmacytoma) on his hind foot. Like you we followed vet advice to not pursue any surgical intervention. Like Oslo, Joey is coping really well so far. I don't really have any advice for you but agree if the cream causes him to over groom the area & cause more injury it seems counterproductive & I can understand your hesitance to use it. My boys tumour looks angry because its so big the fur came off & the skin is really stretched. On occassion he has caused the skin to break but its healed again quite quickly so far. We've also wrapped his foot but the lump makes it awkward & it gets flicked off in seconds.

    So mines more of an empathy post than a helpful one. I hope you stick round as i reckon what might help Joey might help Oslo & vice versa
    Oh well thank you for sharing your story with me- it definitely helps to have your empathy and know you're going through something similar. Good luck with Joey! Thanks for the kind words.

  8. #8

    Default

    I've asked and they said that the silver sulfadiazine is specifically important because it's a topical antibiotic which he needs right now...I wish there was something I could put on top of it so he wouldn't immediately lick it...but he on pain relief meds and supposedly it's definitely a tumor! Thank you for your reply!

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    Hi, I don’t have any experience of this so I can’t advise, but I’m sending lots of vibes.
    Thank you so much!

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I'll ask the mods to move your post to health where it should get seen more & hopefully get some more replies
    thanks so much!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •