• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacalm dosage advice

Clair071085

Warren Scout
Hello, I wandered wgat the dose for metacalm for pain or suspected arthritis is please? I found some here from last vet trip & want to give Bella some. She’s been sleeping more today & I honestly think it’s arthritis so want to give her some pain meds, thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would need to see a vet for advice on what to do to help Bella. We aren’t qualified to give metacam dosage information.

Is she diagnosed with arthritis? If you think she's in pain then you need to know why, and the only person who can help with that safely is a vet. Rabbits are extremely good at covering up pain until it's really bad so don't wait if you think there's a problem.

You would need to see a vet for advice on what to do to help Bella. We aren’t qualified to give metacam dosage information.

Hi, thank you. She’s booked in with rabbit savvy vet thankfully. I’m sure she’s ok I’m probably being paranoid again. I just found some left over from her dental & thought if it is then done wouldn’t harm her. I’m sure I seem something on here about how much normally either in a previous post of mine or another. Will have a look xx

Is she diagnosed with arthritis? If you think she's in pain then you need to know why, and the only person who can help with that safely is a vet. Rabbits are extremely good at covering up pain until it's really bad so don't wait if you think there's a problem.

Hi, thank you. No she’s not been diagnosed with it but I’m thinking she had it & could possibly be why she’s not eating the cecotropes & has cleaning issues. Iv been reading a lot on it & arthritis seems to be a common cause. Of course I don’t know for sure though. She’s booked in with the rabbit savvy vet thankfully about everything. I’m probably paranoid as I really am with everything. I just found some left over from her dental & thought it would be ok to give if she was sore & has it & thought it wouldn’t do any harm. I do t have the box though for dose xx

I was so lucky I got an appointment so soon with the rabbit savvy registered one. Where I am there’s only there’s only 1 at my practice but she’s always so booked up. Iv saw 4 other vets that aren’t before & I don’t feel entirely happy with them. Iv had to take appointments with them when needed & pour Bella had dental & had to get spurs treated. I’m always worrying she may have something wrong it’s terrible. I just thought as I had some in if she is sore from arthritis I could give some now. It’s my first rabbit & now have Morgan also xx

I was so lucky I got an appointment so soon with the rabbit savvy registered one. Where I am there’s only there’s only 1 at my practice but she’s always so booked up. Iv saw 4 other vets that aren’t before & I don’t feel entirely happy with them. Iv had to take appointments with them when needed & pour Bella had dental & had to get spurs treated. I’m always worrying she may have something wrong it’s terrible. I just thought as I had some in if she is sore from arthritis I could give some now. It’s my first rabbit & now have Morgan also xx

I wouldn't give her painkillers without seeing a vet tbh, different doses can be for different things and without knowing what's actually wrong it might do more harm than good. A dose for arthritis might be much lower than for after a dental etc, plus she'd need to be weighed again and for a vet to work out an accurate dose based on her weight and what it was for. When's her appointment? :)

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone. I’m sorry I didn’t realise I shouldn’t give without vet. I stupidly thought it was a medicine like say calpol for kids & it could be given like that. I realise now that I need to ask the vet & not in here about the metacalm for Bella xx

I wouldn't give her painkillers without seeing a vet tbh, different doses can be for different things and without knowing what's actually wrong it might do more harm than good. A dose for arthritis might be much lower than for after a dental etc, plus she'd need to be weighed again and for a vet to work out an accurate dose based on her weight and what it was for. When's her appointment? :)

Hi graciee, thank you. Yes your right I realise this now. I didn’t realise it needed to be worked out that way. I thought it was like calpol maybe for kids & could be given, did t know weight etc needs to be done. It’s on the 11th. Xx

Thank you everyone. I’m sorry I didn’t realise I shouldn’t give without vet. I stupidly thought it was a medicine like say calpol for kids & it could be given like that. I realise now that I need to ask the vet & not in here about the metacalm for Bella xx

No worries, yea it's prescription painkiller not like our over the counter stuff unfortunately so does need a vet. I hope she can see the vet soon to figure out what's going on

No worries, yea it's prescription painkiller not like our over the counter stuff unfortunately so does need a vet. I hope she can see the vet soon to figure out what's going on

Glad I know now, thank you. Will update once she sees vet. It’s the 11th her appointment xx

As Graciee said, vet may dose higher for a few days post surgery or dental than they do for long term issues such as arthritis. In addition, you need to know strenth of meds-mg per ml-and current weight of bunny to calculate a recommended range for the dose.
Also giving meds before vet examines her may make it harder for vet to assess discomfort.
Is she overweight? If so, she may have difficulty bending to eat her cecals.
Sending vibes you solve the mystery of her not eating cecals.

You could always call your Vet today for advice about whether you can give her some Metacam today . Spinal arthritis might explain why she has a problem with eating her cecotrophs. As the Vet has seen her relatively recently they might be OK about giving the go ahead to have some Metacam without having to see her today, but she will be seen on the 11th.

That is what I would do anyway

Dosage of meloksikam varys from issue to issue. Like said above, after dental issues, if there are injuries or tooth extraction dosage is at the max every 12 hours. For arthritis it very much be different.

Hi graciee, she’s going in on 11th for the cecotropes & suspected arthritis to vets & 24th for more dental. It was soonest I could get with the rabbit savvy vet. If anything goes bad I will of course rush get in. She’s hopping around eating etc & still jumping on boxes & her castle thing lol. At least she’s moving & still doing that xx

As Graciee said, vet may dose higher for a few days post surgery or dental than they do for long term issues such as arthritis. In addition, you need to know strenth of meds-mg per ml-and current weight of bunny to calculate a recommended range for the dose.
Also giving meds before vet examines her may make it harder for vet to assess discomfort.
Is she overweight? If so, she may have difficulty bending to eat her cecals.
Sending vibes you solve the mystery of her not eating cecals.

Hi, thank you [emoji3590]. Yes thankfully Iv learnt this now about metacalm. Yes that’s a good point about giving before examining her, thank you. She’s not overweight & a nice healthy weight the vet said & she gets weighed each visit. She’s also on pet health club as well as insurance with agria for regular checks. I can’t wait to get to the bottom of this & get her in good health to try again bonding with Morgan. If she’s unwell it will effect the bonding xx

You could always call your Vet today for advice about whether you can give her some Metacam today . Spinal arthritis might explain why she has a problem with eating her cecotrophs. As the Vet has seen her relatively recently they might be OK about giving the go ahead to have some Metacam without having to see her today, but she will be seen on the 11th.

That is what I would do anyway

Hi Jane, thank you. Would you say it’s ok to give before the examination? Another comment had said about it maybe being better to wait for vet to examine her before giving pain relief & thought might be a good point. I don’t want it to effect the examination & if she is sore it not showing for some reason. I never thought of spinal so thank you for mentioning. I just thought of the legs. I really hope not but going to get this sorted for her. Would I need to ask for X-rays to check or is it something they can feel for or if suspected just trial metacalm? I’m so glad it’s the rabbit savvy vet. I have you to thank for telling me about the rabbit welfare checker [emoji846] & found her. She’s in on 24th also for more dental. Need her all well before bonding to Morgan xx

Back