Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metacalm dosage advice

Warren Scout

Default Metacalm dosage advice

Hello, I wandered wgat the dose for metacalm for pain or suspected arthritis is please? I found some here from last vet trip & want to give Bella some. Sheís been sleeping more today & I honestly think itís arthritis so want to give her some pain meds, thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would need to see a vet for advice on what to do to help Bella. We aren’t qualified to give metacam dosage information.

Alpha Buck

Is she diagnosed with arthritis? If you think she's in pain then you need to know why, and the only person who can help with that safely is a vet. Rabbits are extremely good at covering up pain until it's really bad so don't wait if you think there's a problem.

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    You would need to see a vet for advice on what to do to help Bella. We arenít qualified to give metacam dosage information.
    Hi, thank you. Sheís booked in with rabbit savvy vet thankfully. Iím sure sheís ok Iím probably being paranoid again. I just found some left over from her dental & thought if it is then done wouldnít harm her. Iím sure I seem something on here about how much normally either in a previous post of mine or another. Will have a look xx

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by dollyanna View Post
    Is she diagnosed with arthritis? If you think she's in pain then you need to know why, and the only person who can help with that safely is a vet. Rabbits are extremely good at covering up pain until it's really bad so don't wait if you think there's a problem.
    Hi, thank you. No sheís not been diagnosed with it but Iím thinking she had it & could possibly be why sheís not eating the cecotropes & has cleaning issues. Iv been reading a lot on it & arthritis seems to be a common cause. Of course I donít know for sure though. Sheís booked in with the rabbit savvy vet thankfully about everything. Iím probably paranoid as I really am with everything. I just found some left over from her dental & thought it would be ok to give if she was sore & has it & thought it wouldnít do any harm. I do t have the box though for dose xx

Warren Scout

I was so lucky I got an appointment so soon with the rabbit savvy registered one. Where I am thereís only thereís only 1 at my practice but sheís always so booked up. Iv saw 4 other vets that arenít before & I donít feel entirely happy with them. Iv had to take appointments with them when needed & pour Bella had dental & had to get spurs treated. Iím always worrying she may have something wrong itís terrible. I just thought as I had some in if she is sore from arthritis I could give some now. Itís my first rabbit & now have Morgan also xx

Quote Originally Posted by Clair071085 View Post
    I was so lucky I got an appointment so soon with the rabbit savvy registered one. Where I am thereís only thereís only 1 at my practice but sheís always so booked up. Iv saw 4 other vets that arenít before & I donít feel entirely happy with them. Iv had to take appointments with them when needed & pour Bella had dental & had to get spurs treated. Iím always worrying she may have something wrong itís terrible. I just thought as I had some in if she is sore from arthritis I could give some now. Itís my first rabbit & now have Morgan also xx

I wouldn't give her painkillers without seeing a vet tbh, different doses can be for different things and without knowing what's actually wrong it might do more harm than good. A dose for arthritis might be much lower than for after a dental etc, plus she'd need to be weighed again and for a vet to work out an accurate dose based on her weight and what it was for. When's her appointment?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Warren Scout

Thank you everyone. Iím sorry I didnít realise I shouldnít give without vet. I stupidly thought it was a medicine like say calpol for kids & it could be given like that. I realise now that I need to ask the vet & not in here about the metacalm for Bella xx

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    I wouldn't give her painkillers without seeing a vet tbh, different doses can be for different things and without knowing what's actually wrong it might do more harm than good. A dose for arthritis might be much lower than for after a dental etc, plus she'd need to be weighed again and for a vet to work out an accurate dose based on her weight and what it was for. When's her appointment?

Hi graciee, thank you. Yes your right I realise this now. I didnít realise it needed to be worked out that way. I thought it was like calpol maybe for kids & could be given, did t know weight etc needs to be done. Itís on the 11th. Xx

Quote Originally Posted by Clair071085 View Post
    Thank you everyone. Iím sorry I didnít realise I shouldnít give without vet. I stupidly thought it was a medicine like say calpol for kids & it could be given like that. I realise now that I need to ask the vet & not in here about the metacalm for Bella xx

No worries, yea it's prescription painkiller not like our over the counter stuff unfortunately so does need a vet. I hope she can see the vet soon to figure out what's going on