• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bella needs to see vet

It is OK, but why does the Vet think another Dental will be needed so soon if there was only minimal crown elongation found on the recent Dental she has just had :?

Morning Jane, she’s been back since last time for teeth checked & some of the spurs have started growing back. It’s hardly been anytime since last so was shocked at first but they said they need burred again. It wasn’t the vet who did the dental as she does surgeries but the vet who originally did the check & who found the spurs at first. Surely she definitely needs it as getting worried now? They said she will prob need them done often & for rest of her life. Do you think I should get another opinion? It definitely wasn’t elongation as when I spoke to the vet yesterday & mentioned I was worried about that & if she had it, she said that there’s no way to tell if there is except doing an X-ray. I asked for that while she was under to make sure she’s all ok & put my mind at ease xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morning Jane, she’s been back since last time for teeth checked & some of the spurs have started growing back. It’s hardly been anytime since last so was shocked at first but they said they need burred again. It wasn’t the vet who did the dental as she does surgeries but the vet who originally did the check & who found the spurs at first. Surely she definitely needs it as getting worried now? They said she will prob need them done often & for rest of her life. Do you think I should get another opinion? It definitely wasn’t elongation as when I spoke to the vet yesterday & mentioned I was worried about that & if she had it, she said that there’s no way to tell if there is except doing an X-ray. I asked for that while she was under to make sure she’s all ok & put my mind at ease xx

I was referring to elongated CROWNS of the teeth in my last post.IE the crowns of the teeth were long which can go on to cause other issues. The Vet dealt with this during the dental by shortening and reshaping the crowns. I thought you said the vet stated that when the last dental was done no spurs were found ?

Rabbits' teeth grow continually. Both the roots and the crowns (visible top bits that we normally think of as teeth) grow. Dental bunnies often need lifetime treatment, but the intervals between treatment can vary a lot, even for the same rabbit. It may go from monthly / every 6 weeks to once or twice a year, for instance. A vet who is used to doing rabbit dentals can also optimise the interval by shaping the crowns. Diet changes can help - increase grass and hay to wear the teeth down. Monitor weight so you know they are eating enough, and get them examined by a vet if the weight starts to steadily fall over 2 or 3 weeks, or sooner if there is an obvious issue.

I had one rabbit who needed his incisors burring every 2-3 weeks. Others has to have spurs removed several times a year.

I was referring to elongated CROWNS of the teeth in my last post.IE the crowns of the teeth were long which can go on to cause other issues. The Vet dealt with this during the dental by shortening and reshaping the crowns. I thought you said the vet stated that when the last dental was done no spurs were found ?

Hi, sorry Jane that’s not what I meant it to sound like. I meant the vet said her spurs weren’t bad when I spoke to her. I had phoned to ask how many spurs she had done & that’s when I found out as well as spurs the vet had burred all of her bottom teeth. I couldn’t understand why so the vet phoned me to discuss. (Was receptionist I spoke to first) She said that’s what they normally do to even the teeth all out. I asked if they all had spurs & why do that but they didn’t all have spurs & she couldn’t tell me how many did. She said it’s to even them all out & prevent any issues. I still feel like I don’t know why she had to do this to the whole bottom set if there wasn’t spurs on every single tooth. Why not just burr the spurs off & leave the rest. She did have spurs though as this was why she had to get the dental treatment in first place. I wasn’t told all teeth were burred down & wouldn’t have known if I’d not phoned to ask. Now she’s needing the spurs done again & as far as I know not all the bottom ones just the ones where the actual spurs are growing back. I hope this is the case anyway. Hope that makes more sense xx

Rabbits' teeth grow continually. Both the roots and the crowns (visible top bits that we normally think of as teeth) grow. Dental bunnies often need lifetime treatment, but the intervals between treatment can vary a lot, even for the same rabbit. It may go from monthly / every 6 weeks to once or twice a year, for instance. A vet who is used to doing rabbit dentals can also optimise the interval by shaping the crowns. Diet changes can help - increase grass and hay to wear the teeth down. Monitor weight so you know they are eating enough, and get them examined by a vet if the weight starts to steadily fall over 2 or 3 weeks, or sooner if there is an obvious issue.

I had one rabbit who needed his incisors burring every 2-3 weeks. Others has to have spurs removed several times a year.

Hi shimmer, maybe that’s why she burred all the bottom not just the spurs because she was shaping the crowns? She didn’t actually say shaping the crowns though. Bella gets only hay as she’s inside now. I cut out everything else because of the cecotropes issue & she’s on metacalm for suspected arthritis for that to see if it helps her. I have to give pellets now though for her metacalm so she will take it. A very tiny amount with it on. She’s not long had dental in past months so although she needs again does that mean times can differ so she may not need again for a longer period hopefully but sometimes shorter period in between? Her incisors are ok was just spurs on the molar teeth. She’s eating much more hay so I hope this keeps the periods between longer xx

I guess it must have been for like you said to reshape so as not to cause other issues. I’m sure it’s ok & I’m just getting myself worried over nothing. Her going under again terrified me but she has to get spurs done again & don’t want her getting sore. I just hope the times longer in between next time as the going under a a big risk for her. At least she’s getting the radiograph so can make sure nothing unseen isn’t going on xx

Rabbits can and do often have some spurs but my Vets would say they are nothing to worry about unless he Rabbit is showing signs such as leaving certain foods or drooling etc. I think Bella would appreciate some respite now from the Vets and as you say she is doing well with the hay so any spurs can't be hurting her. This is my opinion of course and maybe Jane will agree or disagree.

Rabbits can and do often have some spurs but my Vets would say they are nothing to worry about unless he Rabbit is showing signs such as leaving certain foods or drooling etc. I think Bella would appreciate some respite now from the Vets and as you say she is doing well with the hay so any spurs can't be hurting her. This is my opinion of course and maybe Jane will agree or disagree.

Hi Toni, thank you. The last spur or spurs as not sure how many, we’re cutting her cheek. That was first removal & seen during vets check very first time. Was me who said please check her teeth as after hearing the story of my friends bunny & that rabbits could have dental probs I wanted to make sure. When she last went in they checked teeth & said needs done again. She was eating grass all day long before when she had them & had cut cheek & everything else except not as much hay. I’d never have known. Maybe she’s eating more hay as she’s not been out at all & is indoors so no grass. Her eyes have been weepy a bit so not sure if dental. That’s why asking for radiograph to make sure her mouths in health. I thought they would only stop eating if it got really bad? My friends giant breed had awful dental & she didn’t know. It was so bad his incisors were growing near nose a very bad case & he had to get removed. Sadly he died after a stroke. He was up until extremely bad eating & everything. I completely understand what your saying though & I hate the thought of her having to get more treatment & going to vets. I’m terrified of her going under again so if I’m making a wrong decision I’d definitely want to know from those on here who know much more than me. I just hope I’m doing the right thing now after what they said & getting her done. Surely they wouldn’t say needs done again if not? Thank you for sharing your opinion on it though xx

Back