Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Potentially sensitive: should terminally ill rabbits be vaccinated

  1. #11
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    5,792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts Shimmer. When you say put off as long as possible do you mean til his due date or let it go over the 12 months?
    Mine usually go a little over the due date anyway (eg a couple of weeks). I hope to get at least 3 or 4 months after a vaccination, or I probably wouldn't bother with it - unless there was a higher risk of the rabbit contracting one of the diseases they could be vaccinated for. It's never an easy decision. If you can easily afford the vaccination, the rabbit is well enough to have it, and they are likely to gain some benefit from it, I would do it. If they were very unlikely to make it 2 months post-vaccination, its possibly not worth it (especially if you allow for a couple of weeks for full immunity to develop after the vaccination) and I would rely on the remaining immunity they had (it doesn't drop to zero the instant it gets to 12 months) and look at the overall quality of life. The problem is that rabbits are rarely that predictable.

  2. #12
    Wise Old Thumper keletkezes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    14,866

    Default

    It would totally depend on the bunny's personality too. A massive stresshead or taking it in their stride makes a big difference. Most of my rabbits I'd probably not even think about not vaccinating, because they're outside and we have a massive local wild rabbit population and live next to a mozzie infested canal etc., but indoors, in winter, with a stressy rabbit and a vet miles away? Maybe I wouldn't. In your position, I'd very much be considering not doing it as soon as due, and definitely waiting a bit, more into the runover period.
    The geeky one... Pronouns: she/her.

    Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

  3. #13
    Warren Veteran InspectorMorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    9,505

    Default

    Personally I have never vaccinated any Rabbit with a terminal diagnosis.


    ‘’All war is a symptom of man’s failure as a thinking animal.”
    ―John Steinbeck.

    I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

  4. #14
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    21,623

    Default

    Really, really helpful replies - thanks all (sorry for not replying individually)

  5. #15
    Wise Old Thumper SarahP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    36,127

    Default

    It's not something I can imagine doing either, for all the reasons others have mentioned.
    Sarah.

    RIP Dusty and Clover bunnies xxx
    Bramble and Hazel guinea pigs

  6. #16
    Moderator Zoobec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    42,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SarahP View Post
    It's not something I can imagine doing either, for all the reasons others have mentioned.
    I’ve not been in this situation personally but I agree don’t think I would do either.

  7. #17
    Mama Doe TheBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,478

    Default

    So I think it totally depends. This time last year I had two terminally ill buns vacc’d and regret it massively. I lost them both not very long after, and whilst I think that was going to happen anyway, I don’t think the vaccine can have helped. However, I did a few weeks ago have another of my terminal buns vaccinated, as whilst she definitely shouldn’t be here and we aren’t sure how she is, she seems to just keep plodding on & I imagine there’s a chance she could be here a bit longer than we anticipate.

    All that said, my situation is quite different I imagine as I have a large number of rabbits here and a fast turnaround. Often they come in unvaccinated and whilst they are quarantined, it’s still a risk.

  8. #18

    Default

    I don't have any experience with this, but I think I agree with those who wouldn't do it. It just doesn't seem worth the stress; both the emotional stress of going to the vets and the physical stress the vaccination has on the body. I think my priority with a terminally ill bunny would be to keep them as comfortable as possible and not do anything that causes them much stress.
    (Pronouns: he or they)


  9. #19
    Mama Doe Orenoko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,418

    Default

    Me personally I don't think I would do it, I feel like the stress of the journey to the vet and then dealing with the vaccine wouldn't be enough to persuade me to do it. That said, mine are house rabbits so probably at lower risk, and I always have to wait about 30 minutes to see a vet as they're always running late so this adds to the stress for my two. I appreciate everyone would have their own reasoning.

  10. #20
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    21,623

    Default

    I'm really grateful for all these replies. J&B I think are prob low risk - they live upstairs which is a strictly no shoe zone & as Omi says at least its not the season for biting insects. I'm not going to put him through it as things stand

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •