• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pressing noses

Omi

Wise Old Thumper
Whilst we were bonding Tui and Froe, I observed a behaviour that I've not seen previously, either during bonding or otherwise. There are a couple of instances which I captured on screen shots on the camera, which can be seen in their bonding thread.

This was actually both bunnies pressing their noses together for several seconds, both keeping perfectly still. It was not a nose bump, nor was it a request for grooming, where one bunny puts their head under the other one's. They must have done it around 6 times in total. It did not seem aggressive.

Does anyone know what it means?

Cookie sometimes touches my nose with her nose and then starts licking. I didn't know why until you said it. Now I found this article. :)

https://www.rabbitcaretips.com/why-do-rabbits-touch-noses/#My_Rabbit_Touches_Noses_with_Me

Yes, I found that article when I was searching for information. I think what I saw was different in that it lasted quite a while without either rabbit moving. It could not be termed a rub, as there was absolutely no movement.

That article does also mention that it could be aggression, so maybe it was that. But then it also describes it as 'touching' which suggests to me that it is quite brief.

I believe it is a 'who will blink first' scenario. Each Bunny posing the challenge to carry out some sort of dominant behaviour. Neither did so all was good.

Yes, I found that article when I was searching for information. I think what I saw was different in that it lasted quite a while without either rabbit moving. It could not be termed a rub, as there was absolutely no movement.

That article does also mention that it could be aggression, so maybe it was that. But then it also describes it as 'touching' which suggests to me that it is quite brief.

I don't know exactly, maybe I didn't fully understand what you said because of language problem. :D But I hope someone knows about this. :)

I think they are talking to each other :lol: i think i recall this happening a lot during quad bonding but you're right - fully established bonds just face smoosh or bow for groomies

I agree it seems like a 'who will move first' scenario. Mine still do it, Lopsy and Chibbs did it irregularly. Sometimes it ends with Chibbs humping somebun but that's just CHibbs being a bit of a cow.

Back