• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Atticus is bad again

Thanks everyone x

He's now not eating again and looks really uncomfortable, it's time for meds soon, so I hope they'll help, but hopefully get in the vets first thing

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Oh poor Atticus, I hope you can get him in to vets if he's no better, sending him loads of vibes xx

Thanks xx

He's had more meds, although we've run out of lactulose now. He's nibbled some hay since but still looks really uncomfortable. But he has a decent sized ball of dry poop stuck to his tail underneath which wasn't there before.. Which is kinda weird. Normally I'd bath him but he just started nibbling hay so ima leave it I think. I don't like to but I don't want to stress him more if he's gunna eat some hay. If he recovers I'll give him a good bum bath then.

Sending more vibes. Glad he still wants to eat and is passing some poo. You know I always say fluids!
Did you get cisapride?

Sending more vibes. Glad he still wants to eat and is passing some poo. You know I always say fluids!
Did you get cisapride?
Haha yea I always think of you saying fluids [emoji38]

No cisapride yet, but I just spoke to my vet and he's prescribing everything again so we'll be picking up new loxicom, tramadol, emeprid, cisapride and lactulose, which is good :)

I'm exhausted but I've been drowning Atticus all night and he's now stuffing hay [emoji7] so that's good! Had a decent amount of output but it's not splats yet, so I know we need to carry on with meds and if we don't he could get worse again tbh. It's getting wetter though so I think it's going in the right direction [emoji38] honestly looking after Atticus is so gross, there's a distinctive smell too [emoji30] but yea I'm hoping he'll keep eating the hay like this, he's really going for it [emoji7]

Oh, I'm so sorry Atticus has gotten unwell again. Poor boy. :( Sending him lots and lots of vibes. I'm glad he's eating lots of hay, and that you can pick up more meds at the vets. I hope they'll help him get everything out of his system so he can be more comfortable.

I'm glad he's eating lots of hay. Hopefully soon you'll have the joy and relief of Atticus-type splats.

I also hope you and Evelyn soon feel better.

I'm so glad you got more meds from the vet and that Atticus is out and eating hay. Keep vibrating too much xxxxx

By the way, how are you, is your pcr test result clear?

I learn so much from you . My dental bunny,Raven, stopped eating this afternoon so I just updated his thread. I have most meds, yet need fresh cisapride that must be compounded here because no longer on market. I never had lactalose or tamadol for bunnies.
Is there a benefit to tamadol vs medicam? Less impact on motility?
What does lactalose do?
Sending vibes Atticus continues to eat hay and has you soon gagging from stinky splats.

Thanks everyone for the support and vibes I really appreciate it xx

I'm so glad you got more meds from the vet and that Atticus is out and eating hay. Keep vibrating too much xxxxx

By the way, how are you, is your pcr test result clear?

Nope not yet! It said 1-2 days so hopefully I get a text tomorrow!

I learn so much from you . My dental bunny,Raven, stopped eating this afternoon so I just updated his thread. I have most meds, yet need fresh cisapride that must be compounded here because no longer on market. I never had lactalose or tamadol for bunnies.
Is there a benefit to tamadol vs medicam? Less impact on motility?
What does lactalose do?
Sending vibes Atticus continues to eat hay and has you soon gagging from stinky splats.

Oh I hope he's okay, it's awful having sick bunnies :(

Cisapride is sometimes hard to get over here I've noticed too, they don't always have it. Tramadol works differently to metacam, but gives extra pain relief so I think that's the reason? I'm not 100% sure, just when we only gave metacam for him he is still in pain, whereas if we give tramadol as well he normally is more comfortable. Also he cannot have Vetergesic, it seems to frighten him.

Lactulose is actually a human laxative, it's an undigestible sugar I think? It draws water into the gut, so it's soften and rehydrates the contents of the gut, making it easier to pass through you, I'm guessing? [emoji38] Idk if it's really necessary for most stasis cases, I'm no expert, but if my others get stasis I just use emeprid and cisapride and painkillers.. But with Atticus it's weird it's like the contents of his gut is super dry sometimes? He has had several blockages of poop which they can feel, I remember the first time it happened my vet thought it might be a tumour.. But the lactulose seems really good at getting everything rehydrated and moving through him again. Idk if it'd be good or bad for a normal stasis case, but for Atticus I'm convinced it saves his life every time tbh!

Atticus update, he's been really good all day today, but he sucking in his sides again and now not eating :(

Thanks everyone for the support and vibes I really appreciate it xx

Nope not yet! It said 1-2 days so hopefully I get a text tomorrow!

Oh I hope he's okay, it's awful having sick bunnies :(

Cisapride is sometimes hard to get over here I've noticed too, they don't always have it. Tramadol works differently to metacam, but gives extra pain relief so I think that's the reason? I'm not 100% sure, just when we only gave metacam for him he is still in pain, whereas if we give tramadol as well he normally is more comfortable. Also he cannot have Vetergesic, it seems to frighten him.

Lactulose is actually a human laxative, it's an undigestible sugar I think? It draws water into the gut, so it's soften and rehydrates the contents of the gut, making it easier to pass through you, I'm guessing? [emoji38] Idk if it's really necessary for most stasis cases, I'm no expert, but if my others get stasis I just use emeprid and cisapride and painkillers.. But with Atticus it's weird it's like the contents of his gut is super dry sometimes? He has had several blockages of poop which they can feel, I remember the first time it happened my vet thought it might be a tumour.. But the lactulose seems really good at getting everything rehydrated and moving through him again. Idk if it'd be good or bad for a normal stasis case, but for Atticus I'm convinced it saves his life every time tbh!

Atticus update, he's been really good all day today, but he sucking in his sides again and now not eating :(

It makes sense to add Tamadol for extra pain relief.

When I had Dash and Evan, like Atticus they got huge masses of poo I could feel in intestines and when I was lucky it moved along until they passed huge poo and recovered.

I am sending vibes for Atticus. It sounds like his guts are working to move things through. He could not be in better hands

Last edited:
It makes sense to add Tamadol for extra pain relief.

When I had Dash and Evan, like Atticus they got huge masses of poo I could feel in intestines and when I was lucky it moved along until they passed huge poo and recovered.

I am sending vibes for Atticus. It sounds like his guts are working to move things through. He could not be in better hands

Yes this is exactly the same thing!

Thanks for saying that, I feel like he deserves better care tbh I'm stretched pretty thin these days. He's got worse again today, not sure why, nibbling on and off but looking super uncomfortable again, but we've had one bad splat, so I'm hoping this is the beginning of splatfest tbh, that's the best case scenario rn for him.

Back