• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Lilac

Orenoko

Mama Doe
I heard Lilac making a snuffling kind of noise during the night (I'd been kicked out of bed for snoring and was sleeping on the sofa). Got up this morning and her breathing definitely has a bit of a wheeze to it. She's booked in at the vet this afternoon, luckily she seems happy in herself, she's eating hay and I've seen her drinking this morning so hoping that whatever it is I've caught it early. She doesn't have any other symptoms like runny eyes or nose so not sure what has caused it.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Glad you got an appointment with vets so Lilac can get diagnosed and treated early. Sending vibes Lilac continues to do well and vet diagnoses something easily remedied.

Glad you got an appointment with vets so Lilac can get diagnosed and treated early. Sending vibes Lilac continues to do well and vet diagnoses something easily remedied.
Thank you [emoji4] I'm guessing it's some kind of respiratory infection but have never had a bun with one before so don't want to internet-diagnose her!

Aw, I'm sorry Lilac isn't well. I'm glad she's still happy and eating and drinking okay, at least. It does sound like you caught whatever it is early, so I hope it'll be easily treatable. Sending lots of vibes for Lilac.

Thanks all, will update later once she's been to the vet this afternoon. Still not allowed inside unfortunately.

Oh bless her, glad you got an appointment at the vets, good luck hope she's soon well again xx

So the vet thinks Lilac has an upper respiratory infection. Lungs and chest clear and the main problem seems to be the throat area. No issues with eye or no discharge or other symptoms and the vet was happy with her overall condition, so they're treating it with metacam and baytril and have asked to see her again in a week if she doesn't improve. She's a nightmare with medication (she's not a fan of handling generally and I respect that when she's not ill!) So the next week will be fun trying to get medication into her and not on her face or legs :lol:

I'm glad that the vet has established what the problem is. So good that you caught it early too. If she is very difficult to medicate and I expect the Baytril will be worse than the Metacam, I would try disguising it on a Shreddie or other food that she would eat and which would soak up the medicine.

Sending lots of vibes for her.

I'm glad that the vet has established what the problem is. So good that you caught it early too. If she is very difficult to medicate and I expect the Baytril will be worse than the Metacam, I would try disguising it on a Shreddie or other food that she would eat and which would soak up the medicine.

Sending lots of vibes for her.

I just tried hiding it on a fenugreek crunchie, she ate the first one reluctantly but left the second. She ate the ones with metacam on though! I wish they would make baytril taste nice!

I just tried hiding it on a fenugreek crunchie, she ate the first one reluctantly but left the second. She ate the ones with metacam on though! I wish they would make baytril taste nice!

can you get hold of fenugreek powder - its really good at disguising stuff & up there as a really tasty food stuff where rabbits are concerned (I agree as it happens)

can you get hold of fenugreek powder - its really good at disguising stuff & up there as a really tasty food stuff where rabbits are concerned (I agree as it happens)

I didn't know you could get it in powder form, I'll have a look, thank you! I have got some banana flavoured baby food for emergencies so can try hiding it in there too lol.

I didn't know you could get it in powder form, I'll have a look, thank you! I have got some banana flavoured baby food for emergencies so can try hiding it in there too lol.

Sainsburys sometimes have it (spice section) . I can stick a wee packet of it in the first class post tomorrow if you wanted. PM me your address if that'd be useful

Sainsburys sometimes have it (spice section) . I can stick a wee packet of it in the first class post tomorrow if you wanted. PM me your address if that'd be useful
Ah I didn't know that! I'll send you my address that's really kind of you [emoji2]

Yo made the right call getting her to the vet. I hope she makes a quick improvement with the medication.
Some people will draw up the appropriate does of medication into the syringe, and then draw up something the bunny would like into the same syringe to disguise the baytril.

So pleased you got Lilac to the vet and she is on medicine. Could you possibly mix the baytril into nanners? If Lilac likes nanners it might be a way to get the baytril into her.
Sending loads of vibes for Lilac. xx

Back