• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tui and Froe - an unconventional bonding attempt

Omi

Wise Old Thumper
As some of you know I have been looking for months for a new friend for Tui. Well meet Froe (nee Shadow) from Tag Pet Rescue. He is between 1 and 2 years old and was rescued in June from a multi-animal household, which was a bit unsavoury. I had previously discounted him as I was concerned about lops and dental disease. But I think his face looks OK and also he's a bunny-shaped hay-eating machine. I was also attracted to his character, as described by the rescue, which was confirmed when I went to see him. As Tui is quite timid, I reckoned she needed a very friendly, chilled out rabbit, which he is. I've no regrets in adopting him.

My OH put together a temporary pen on the patio next to Tui's run and they lived side-by-side since last Tuesday. After Tui's initial scaredy-catness, they quickly got used to each other, as you will see in the first couple of pics, when they are munching hay. Day before yesterday we decided to try them together. We haven't got a neutral space, so OH made a temporary area adjoining the shed. The plan was to put Froe in there first and then encourage Tui to jump out of the shed. Did this as picking her up would have caused her stress. Well she was too frightened to jump out :roll: So we ditched the neutral space requirement :lol:

Yesterday we just put Froe in the square patio run with Tui. I know that most Does would not accept this. There was lots of chasing, but nothing really aggressive. No humping. Then the monsoon came and we all got soaked (the joy of outside rabbits!). So left Froe in the covered run outside and shut Tui in the shed. Around 5pm rain had stopped, but now it was dark, so we shut them both in the shed. You will notice on the pics from the overnight camera, that we had boxes and a large litter tray, as well as lumps of wood :) Think these additions actually helped and the large space meant that Tui could run away when he started to chase again. Then Tui kept going in one of the boxes and thumped. Followed by Froe, who just thumped where he was. There was also a leaping stage, when each bunny jumped over the other. Then it calmed down a bit, so we watched them from the kitchen on the camera. By the middle of the night, it looked OK to leave them together. Have checked on the archive pics from the camera and all was calm overnight. When we got up this morning we let them into the outside runs. There was a small amount of initial chasing, but since then all seems well. We've had lots of binkies from Froe and Tui looks much more animated. Tui has also groomed him today.

I'm not suggesting that any of these methods are to be recommended as such, but I continue to believe that it's important to know your rabbits before choosing how to bond. I'm not sure that how we did it would be successful with another pair, but I was fairly confident that it would be our best chance with these two.

I've sent some pics to j&b, who has kindly agreed to add them to this thread.

They are the sweetest photos:love: such good bunnies. Tui doesn't look anywhere near as submissive as I thought she would.

first batch

XoDwPcIl.jpg

GHJdlayl.jpg

3arbrCGl.jpg

Z7EXrMGl.jpg

iBNnqlPl.jpg

gaHPqaBl.jpg

sorry if any / all are in the incorrect order btw
qRwlGpNl.jpg

ZvJra7ol.jpg

this one made me laugh

JeTdu6Jl.jpg

odPamDvl.jpg

LM9MuY8l.jpg

DJBCfHXl.jpg

Congratulations Omi, Tui & Froe :love:

They're both beautiful :love: I'm so pleased and hope it continues! I do feel it's finding the bunnies' right balance, there's not right and wrong way (OK there are plenty of wrong ways but you know what i mean!).

Omi, You did a great job selecting the perfect friend for Tui. Lucky bunnies. I hope Tui and Froe will have many happy years together with your loving care.

Aww, this is so wonderful. :love: I'm so glad that they're on their way to become friends, and that they have each other now. Froe looks adorable, and I really enjoyed seeing Tui, too. :love: I hope they'll be very happy together. :love:

Thanks for all your lovely comments.

Things still looking positive. Watched the overnight camera footage and Tui requested grooming from Froe, who obliged with three hours of on and off grooming. This morning outside, Froe asked for grooming and got Tui's version of it. It was the same with Tethra. Tui has always loved grooming herself and so as previously, she started off with good intentions and groomed Froe, but every now and again switched to her own body with Froe looking a bit confused :lol:

Awww that last picture of them both looking at the camera, it's almost like they're saying "we don't know what the big deal is with this bonding business!" So cute.

Awww that last picture of them both looking at the camera, it's almost like they're saying "we don't know what the big deal is with this bonding business!" So cute.

Haha, I think they're more likely saying 'have you got something for us to eat?' :lol:

Gorgeous buns [emoji7] they look like they've always been together [emoji7]

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Back