• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Male rabbit going after female rabbit's spay wound?!

Hozzel

New Kit
Hello! I have two recently bonded bunnies. Harry is a year and half and already neutered when i got him. Elsie was 4 months when i got her and not spayed yet. I did a slow bonding process with them but it didnt really feel necessary as they just got on instantly, straight to lying down next to each other and grooming etc.

Anyway, took Elsie for her spay and Harry went with her. Vet says he was great at looking after her after the op. I put elsie in a pen in their shared room so she could rest. Problem is now when ever i try and re-introduce them they get on for a bit but then Harry seems to go straight for her spay wound, which causes elsie to run away and harry to chase after her. They dont fight though and have ate hay together and sat together calmly if i pet them. I cant tell if Harry is being aggressive (he is a very chill bun generally) or if he is just curious or thinks Elsie's spay wound requires some attention from him! Anyone had anything similar? I dont want to risk leaving them unsupervised together or have the chasing happen to much because it scares Elsie and i dont want them falling out. They have now been living side by side but separated for a week - is this enough to keep them bonded if i leave them like this until Elsie is back to normal? (vet says she is healing well)

Thanks, any help much appreciated!

She will smell different and be acting differenty after the spay, so he is curious. I would give her time to fully recover from the operation. When she is fully fit and able to deal with Harry's behaviour, you can give them supervised time together and see how it goes. So keep them separate for now so she can rest and heal for another week or so. He can still keep an eye on her and still have contact through a barrier, which will help to maintain the bond.

She will smell different and be acting differenty after the spay, so he is curious. I would give her time to fully recover from the operation. When she is fully fit and able to deal with Harry's behaviour, you can give them supervised time together and see how it goes. So keep them separate for now so she can rest and heal for another week or so. He can still keep an eye on her and still have contact through a barrier, which will help to maintain the bond.

I totally agree.

Thank you for your help! She is doing great and her fur has started growing back as well. I will leave them separated for another week because im on holiday anyway and my partner is looking after them. Then will try supervising reintroductions again :)

Back