• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it okay to feed rabbits dried kitchen herbs?

Beapig

Mama Doe
As in the flake sized sort that you get in the little containers to add seasoning to food? Lily has a mild stasis and I ran out of my dried forage yesterday, she likes dried herbs a lot and I have a bulk bag of both thyme and parsley that I use for cooking. I thought if I sprinkled it into the hay it might interest her. Just checking it is okay to use herbs in this form? Thanks everyone :)

I don't see why you couldn't sprinkle them in hay. I assume they are literally just dried herbs (check the label?). I wouldn't feed them just as they are as they are quite strong flavoured and there's not that much in a whole jar in bunny ration quantities.

Tell us how you get on.

The other thing you might be able to find fairly easily is fresh bramble leaves. They grow all over the place on undisturbed ground (parks, woods, verges, untouched gardens, etc). The leaves are often spikey and the stems are v spikey. Rabbits love them and are not bothered by the spikes. They are good for the fibre. Take a cloth or paper bag (they rip through plastic) and some sharp scissors to pick them (and maybe gardening gloves).

I don't see why you couldn't sprinkle them in hay. I assume they are literally just dried herbs (check the label?). I wouldn't feed them just as they are as they are quite strong flavoured and there's not that much in a whole jar in bunny ration quantities.

Tell us how you get on.

The other thing you might be able to find fairly easily is fresh bramble leaves. They grow all over the place on undisturbed ground (parks, woods, verges, untouched gardens, etc). The leaves are often spikey and the stems are v spikey. Rabbits love them and are not bothered by the spikes. They are good for the fibre. Take a cloth or paper bag (they rip through plastic) and some sharp scissors to pick them (and maybe gardening gloves).

Thanks for the advice Shimmer, this is the bag of parsley. I've read the label on the back and it is just pure dried parsley cut up small. I am more just thinking that the smell might encourage her appetite if I sprinkle a bit into the hay:

I have bramble leaves in my garden and have tried her with those but she isn't interested :( OH has just popped out to buy some fresh herbs from the shop too. I know how much they love their dried forage so I thought it was worth a shot. My forage delivery is meant to come in the next couple of days.

Back